Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlharris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Opheim, MT/ Fargo, ND
Installed iDVD '08 last night, along with the rest of the iLife '08 suite. Checked to make sure all programs launched after installation...and they did.

Now attempting to open iDVD '08, the iDVD icon on the dock bounces a few times as usual and the program opens only long enough to see it flash on the screen and closes. I've ran the usual utlilities (TTP4, et al) and can't find anything wrong with my system in general. All of the other programs in iLife '08 work perfectly, as do the ones in iWork '08.

Should I trash iDVD '08 and attempt a reinstall from disk or is there something else I should be looking at?

stealthsniper96

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
you're not the only one, i've read a lot of things about people having problems with it. apple has put up a free download of the previous version of idvd for people having problems with the new one.

mlharris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Opheim, MT/ Fargo, ND
Apple suggests the following...but it still doesn't work:

Issue or symptom

If iDVD '08 is closed immediately after the startup screen when the application is opened for the first time, opening the application a second time may cause it to unexpectedly quit.

Affected products:

iDVD '08
Solution

To resolve the issue:

In Finder, drag the following folder and file to the trash:
~/Library/Application Support/iDVD/Installed Themes and
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.idvd

Reopen iDVD '08, create a new project and wait for the Updating themes progress bar to complete before quitting the application again. You only need to do this once.

This document will be updated as more information becomes available.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the fact I cannot locate the "~/Library/Caches/com.apple.idvd" to put in the trash or not, but by only following the first hald of this "fix," the problem still exists.

mlharris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Opheim, MT/ Fargo, ND
Update

A quick look in the MacFixIt forums didn't help so I decided to go back to:

~/Library/Application Support/iDVD/Installed Themes

and rather than just throw /Installed Themes in the trash that I would throw the entire iDVD file in the trash. After doing this I reinstalled iDVD '08 using a custom install from disk.

Relaunch was slow at first, as it usually is when first opening a new program, but it now launches, lets me access past projects, and just for trial/error (to make sure it works!) I burned part of an existing project without any difficulty.:)

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
we went over this when idvd 08 first came out, for some reason on select systems idvd has an issue porting over the older themes, you have to spotlight idvd and throw away EVERYTHING

then reinstall idvd and it should work fine

we had three systems that did the same thing as you are describing and this is what fixed it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.