iDVD ( '08 ) Problems - Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ~J~, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I am burning a 7 disc set to single layer DVDs in iDVD, but am unfortunately running into a few unexpected problems. Any help with these issues is GREATLY appreciated.

- Some of the menus & video runs off the screens (CRTs only). I understand there is something about CRTs called overscanning where they may cut off some of the picture. Is there a way to fix this?

- iDVD breaks the links to chapters in the movies on the disc, but only AFTER burning them to DVD. Beforehand, the links work fine.

- Also only after burning, the order of the titles on the disc will rearrange themselves depending on what source you use (computer vs. set top DVD player)

- All of the video is in 4:3 (for compatibility sake), but a couple of the individual titles will show up as 16:9 - but only in iDVD. The source file (edited in FCE) is exported in 4:3 (as all segments are).

This is a big project that I am working on and need to have done soon. These are the final fixes I need to make before it goes into production - but these issues are driving me crazy! Thanks for your help & time!

2. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

Overscanning is just something CRT's are set to do by the manufacturers.

You can calibrate some CRT's to reduce it, and some you can't. You can bank at least 5% of the display to be over scanned, and sometimes as much as 15-20%. The purpose of it is to have the picture fill the screen, always.

It sounds like you are working on a very highly overscanned display.