Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I keep getting multiplex Errors when I burn with iDVD 5. I can make the movies in Toast 6, but with no menu. (Also, someone told me that my toast created DVD didn't work in their standard DVD player... my DVD player is broken so I can't verify if the problem is on all stand-along DVD players for TV, or just certain ones, but it does run in my Powerbook).

I've been trying to find a solution, but with no avail. I've noticed a few other people have posted the same Error messages in other message boards recently.

Computer: Al. G4 1Ghz Powerbook with Tiger 10.4.1 22GB free
DVD burner: LaCie d2 DVD±RW with LightScribe 16x connected via firewire. I have the latest updates. (And yes, Tiger sees the drive and so does iDVD and Toast).

DVD disk: I'm using Sony DVD-R ver. 2.0 disks 4.7GB 1x - x8s speed drm5g80001. ... the fact that the DVD is a Sony might factor in with it not being readable by some DVD drives, but I'm not sure if DVD brand is that significant when it comes to DVD players. Is it?

Things I tried: Freeing up as much hard drive space as possible. I have about 22GB free now. I've also tried to delete Encoded assets.

The video is about 20 mins long (it's actually 4 short videos). At first I tried using the iMovie files, which took up about 15 GB of hard drive space, but i had problems. So, I freed up space by saving the files into DV format, which only took up a few Gb of information rather than giga-double-digits.

Would it be better to convert the DV format into Quicktime files? Would the quality suffer if I did so?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

--nate

nate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It didn't work in the other persons stand alone DVD player (for TV) because their DVD player is about six years old (pre 2000 DVD players won't play DVD-R (General), instead they only play DVD authorized).

I also opened up my DVD player and reset the eject latch and now it works fine, and plays anything I burn.

Two probs down, now only one to go... the iDVD Multiplex problem. Toast works fine, but fancy menus are more fun. :)

--nate

nate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I didn't have a DVD burner before, so I never used earlier versions of iDVD; however, I fixed the problem.

Instead of using iDVD to burn, I used it to create the menu and then export it as a disk image.

I then used Popcorn to put the disk image onto DVD.

It worked fine and the quality is jaw-dropping! I can't believe how well the video turned out.

I'm pleased, and even more happier because I got everything working... it just takes tinkering.

I don't know why iDVD was giving me errors when it was trying to encode directly to the DVD drive, but maybe it's because I'm using a firewire drive, instead of an internal drive.

But I got Popcorn and it's been working well for all of my DVD projects. All I have to do is edit in iMovie, do the menus in iDVD, export it to a disk image on the hard drive, run popcorn, and then I've got a great working DVD that works both in computers and stand alone DVD players.

--nate :)

nate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
thanks, but i don't think the error was lack of disk space... I had 22 GB free on my computer.

The Multiplex Error seems to come from one of the older iDVD menus, as I had no problems when I used another menu, just that one (usually the error would happen when encoding that menu).

Also, I found that I had no problems exporting to a .img file and then burning it with popcorn.

I'm not sure if my firewire drive has anything to do with this.

But, for now, everything is working fine.

--nate

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
nate said:
Instead of using iDVD to burn, I used it to create the menu and then export it as a disk image.

I then used Popcorn to put the disk image onto DVD.

It worked fine and the quality is jaw-dropping! I can't believe how well the video turned out.

I'm pleased, and even more happier because I got everything working... it just takes tinkering.

I don't know why iDVD was giving me errors when it was trying to encode directly to the DVD drive, but maybe it's because I'm using a firewire drive, instead of an internal drive.

But I got Popcorn and it's been working well for all of my DVD projects. All I have to do is edit in iMovie, do the menus in iDVD, export it to a disk image on the hard drive, run popcorn, and then I've got a great working DVD that works both in computers and stand alone DVD players.
--nate :)

Why can't you just burn it with Toast?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.