IDVD 9 making a dvd issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sara213, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Sara213 macrumors newbie

Sara213

I'm trying to make a dvd. I have the videos on my computer and i want to put them on dvd to watch on the television. However, when i put one video on it a takes up the whole volume of the dvd...so there is no point to create a dvd if I can't add more then 1 video on it.

this is the project info screen:

[​IMG]

There is two separate files for audio and video...any suggestions as to why this happens? maybe because of the codec?

any suggestions will be helpful...:)

p.s

even after encoding it is the same...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Audio and video always gets separated during encoding, that's why you can have more than one audio track (original language, dubbed languages, commentary) on commercial DVDs. That's how video DVDs are specified. Nothing you can do here, as in the end they (audio and video) get encapsulated into one container (.vob).

How long is the original source?

Also .avi files today use either the Divx or Xvid codec, which are MPEG-4 variants, and they can store more information in less space. But video DVDs use the older MPEG-2 codec, which is why you can only have 2 to 4 hours of video on Dual Layer DVDs, which store 8.5GB of data.
    So even if an .avi file is capable of storing 2 hours of video into a file less than 1GB in size, video DVDs will not be able to do this.

3. Sara213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sara213

Oh okay...I see.

the original source is....411.5MB

the encodings are different and the program is trying to make it fit into the mpeg-2 format? correct?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Correct. iDVD uses the video DVD standard to get video onto a video DVD, thus the size explodes if you work with compressed video.

Also I was asking about the length of the source, and not the size, but 411.5MB point to 45 to 60 minutes of SD video, so depending on your quality settings, that should fit twice on a Single Layer (SL) DVD (4.7GB).

Which route do you take anyway?

Where do you get the .avi files and what steps do you take to get them into iDVD?

5. Sara213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sara213

Sorry, about that.

the length of the source is 51:48.

I select best performance and I use a single layer sl(dvd)

I got them from veoh.com.

I open the folder in which the video is located and i just drag it on to the idvd menu interface and drop it there.