iDVD and .dmg file

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skybolt, Jul 16, 2009.

1. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I read where it is good to save an iDVD project as a .dmg file so that burning it again later will be faster. I have done that with a project. Now I want to burn more copies, and just wanted to ask how to do this. Do I open iDVD and burn it from there? Or can I use Toast? If so, what setting? Or can I just drag the .dmg file onto a mounted DVD? I will want it to play on a standard DVD player, and for PC users to have access to the photo files that are included. It works fine that way when I have just used iDVD to burn it.

Thanks in advance!

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Mainly, .dmg files are used with Disk Utility (they can be mounted directly from the Finder). I would suggest opening up Disk Utility, and then dragging/dropping the .dmg file to the left hand side (the white section) of DU's window. There, the image will stay for you to mount it, burn it, or do whatever you like with it. Assuming iDVD creates the image properly, it should work. I would burn one copy through DU and then test it out before you go into mass production.

I'm sure Toast can also burn .dmg files as well in a similar method, dragging/dropping the file to Toasts icon (Toast will go to the proper burn section depending on file type).

If you just drag and drop it to a mounted DVD, it would just burn the file itself directly to a disk, so that's not what you want to do.

3. skybolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Exactly what I needed. I used your first suggestion -- Disk Utility and it burned the DVD in a short while (took over 3 hours when done other than a disk image). We tried it in our DVD player, and it worked fine.

Thanks again!