iDVD and other Authoring

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by THEROC, Oct 10, 2010.

1. THEROC macrumors member

Hello
    I have 2 AVI that i want to turn to DVD using iDVD. They are around approx 1.4G together. When I look at the 'Project info' the size of both files 'according to the information bar below is 10G. The DVD blank is 4.7G so I would have thought that both, after the DVD encoding, would have fit on that blank without problems. I would hate to waste a 2nd blank to fit both. Can someone help me with settings so I can somehow compress these 2 videos into 1 DVD blank.
    Thank You!

2. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

3. yarabella macrumors newbie

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iDVD is limited to approximately two hours of content. Whether you stick with iDVD, switch to Toast, or some other application, the .avi video must be transcoded to MPEG-2. That said, .avi is not a video format; it is a video container format. Most modern .avi video is DivX-encoded, a much higher compression format than MPEG-2. This means that the MPEG-2 version of your video will be several times larger than your .avi version. When transcoded to MPEG-2, your .avi files may still fit on a DVD but that is by no means guaranteed.

5. THEROC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I will take that on board. As for the duration of the clips...looking at about 3hrs. I would have thought the size mattered more than duration. I also have DVD studio. Will that be a better way to create the DVD? Funny, I used to do this a few years ago and have been out of the loop with all this encoding.Like I said, I will take all advise but if there is more, I will keep reading. Thank you Mac People.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

honestly, i think you should use Burn.app :)

7. THEROC thread starter macrumors member

Hey..I tried Toast and it still only allowed me a clip which was about 1:30 hr. I am not after a great quality of output so it didn't matter. I will however take your advise and check that out.

8. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Did you select the auto recompression box?

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Toast.app should work fine - im not sure why it isnt, probably a settlings thing - Burn should be able to fit it on.

10. THEROC thread starter macrumors member

Ah...no. I have looked at the preferences and other settings and I can't see any that call it 'recompression'. The name of the program is Toast Titanium. Is that the same program? Could I have downloaded the wrong one?

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sure - this is what you want to have it setup as.

[​IMG]

the button is "automatic" for me. i fit 4x43min TV episodes + 1x2hr movie + 1x1hr TV episode onto 5.44GB! im SURE you can fit 3hrs into it using the correct settings.

12. THEROC thread starter macrumors member

That's the one. The only thing I had different to you is that i had a menu, I didn't have play all items continually and video quality I had good thinking best would just increase the size. Still I wanted just 2 clips around 2hrs all up on a 4.7G dvd and I could only get 12 clip around 1:20hrs. How you got all that stuff even on an DL blank is beyond me but you obviously have the right settings.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it was compressed to the absolutely crapper ;) but hopefully that will work for you!