idvd and subtitles do not work well together

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Tech198, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all.

I have idvd 7.11 installed on my MBP i7

However, I know iDVD does not take .srt files, which is why i use a separate program to merge srt file into movie. then burn the result with iDVD.

But this problem happens, stems from iDVD.

After exporting movie to DV with subtitles (now built in), Quicktime can play the resulting movie and the subtitles still look fine.

However when playing the same movie after importing into iDVD, the subtitles that display in a section of the movie but have the URL behind it... This only stays onscreen for about minute, but while its there that portion of the movies subtitle cannot be easily read.

This "underlying URL text" does not show up when playing via or via Quick look, but only shows up when playing with iDVD. and also in Quicktime.

I do have Perian installed, maybe this has something to do with it ?. *shrugs*

I also noticed by using Toast Player it also comes up, so its not iDVD specific..

ANy clues?

2. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

subtitles

I have a strong feeling its not a idvd problem.. its widestread, as it also happens when previewing in Toast Player (which I guess uses Quicktime components too). This would explain why it plays ok in VLC as it has it own player.

The thing I can't work out now, is why it the underlying subtitle does not show when previewing via Quick look, but by do with Quicktime, as they both rely on the share the same components.. Only different is one isn't running, while the other one is. I guess this what comes to using third party software to burn subtitles into movie.

By the way, the subtitles display, but what I mean by "underlying" is there is a portion of this foreign film where the subtitles are visible, but you can see underneath there is something else. When the subtitle vanishes. the underlying one stays on screen for a bit.. in this case its a URL text Glom.com..

As I said, this text does not show up after burning in subtitles via third party software, not does it appear in VLC, or via Quick look. but does appear elsewhere.

As to why ? The only link is Quicktime. In any case, this since only on screen for a few seconds, i might just leave it.