iDVD aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by camilletom, Jun 24, 2007.

1. camilletom macrumors member

camilletom

Hey yall.
    I'd like to know:
    when I choose to burn a DVD (in iDVD) at a 4:3 aspect ratio, it will fill my NOT WIDESCREEN TV screen, right?
    That means that all of the DVDs I burn in this format won't fill the WIDESCREEN screen of the TV i'm gonna buy next year?
    SHould I reburn all of the DVD of my vacations at 16:9, so they fill my widescreen?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Assuming an NTSC DVD, all DVD content is burned at 720 x 480 pixels irrespective of the aspect ratio of your source material. DVD pixels are rectangular rather than square. If your source is 16:9, then you use the widescreen setting of your DVD player or widescreen TV during playback. If your source is 4:3, then you use the 4:3 setting of your DVD player or TV during playback.

3. camilletom thread starter macrumors member

camilletom

In that case, why does iDVD ask me to choose an aspect ratio?

4. bmb012 macrumors 6502

So it knows what aspect ratio to put the menu in, and in case you're mixing aspect ratios.

5. camilletom thread starter macrumors member

camilletom

Assuming i'm gonna buy a plasma widescreen TV next year, what's my solution?
    Shall I burn every project twice (in 16:9 format & 4:3 format) so it looks good on my actual TV and on the new widescreen TV?

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If your source material is in 4:3, it does not matter. Your TV or DVD player will know how to handle it so that you will view your vacation videos filling up your whole screen. However, objects or people will look wider or fatter on a widescreen TV.

If your source material is 16:9 (probably not), then I would prepare projects in 16:9.

7. camilletom thread starter macrumors member

camilletom

When people look fatter, is it horrible, or viewable?
    If it's horrible, what should I do, because i've been shooting videos with my camera in 4:3 for 3 years now (I chose that preference in the camera menu itself), and I don't think I can't tranform them to 16:9...
    I'm dead...

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If your source material is 4:3, then you should do your DVD as 4:3. Some people don't mind the fat people created by expanding 4:3 material to 16:9, but I do.

9. camilletom thread starter macrumors member

camilletom

Is there ANYWAY i can transform my 4:3 movies to 16:9?
    If not, should Is start shooting in 16:9?

10. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

It is definitely viewable and in videos I don't tend to notice it too much, but in slideshows it looks like I need to lose much more weight than I should in reality. :)

Any widescreen TV should give you the option to watch your videos in 4:3 mode by adding black or grey bars on the side. Yes, the viewing area of your TV will go down, but I think it is a good compromise. This is the same problem you'd face watching analog TV channels. Fatter people or sidebars...

You cannot really convert your videos into 16:9 unless you magically find additional footage of the sides or clip the top and bottom. My TV has some modes where they widen the objects on the side more than the objects in the center to make the scenes look a bit more natural. Still, it does not help a whole lot.

11. camilletom thread starter macrumors member

camilletom

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
    But I have a last question:
    if I shoot in 16:9 format, who will it look on a standard TV?

12. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

13. camilletom thread starter macrumors member

camilletom

THANKS!