iDVD burns Dvds with no video, audio damaged

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zeynal, May 12, 2009.

1. Zeynal macrumors newbie

HI,
    I just got a brand new iMac '09 with. I love it already but the only problem I seem to be having is iDVD. I got a movie that is about 700 MB, and would like to burn it onto DVD. First iDVD was saying its too large for the 4.2 GB DVD, so I selected high quality instead of previously selected Best Performance. That fit the movie onto the DVD. Once the encoding was done, I burned it. However now, when I play in on my DVD player, there is no video (green screen) and sound is all scrambled. Same thing when I play in on the iMac. I then noticed that already on the preview menu (under media) the movie is played with no video and damaged audio. Also, when it was finished burning on the dvd, iDVD kept asking for blank recordable DVDs to be inserted, which after two ruined dvds I cancelled.
    Never had this problem with Nero on the PC.
    Is there something I need to do?
    Really appreciate help. thanks!!

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I suspect you downloaded the movie, and it's an .avi file, cause most downloaded movies are.

When it's an .avi file quicktime (and therefore iMovie nor iDVD) won't read the file properly. Cause it doesn't have the right codecs. If you not yet have perian installed, I advise you do to so. (I presume you don't have it installed yet, as you just bought it). Go to perian.org and download and install it. If it's correct the movie wouldn't play in quicktime and now will.

iDVD probably will do too.

The reason why your movie is too big, while it's only 700 mb is because most dvd players don't read .avi. They read something like MPEG-2. So your movie files is converted to that format. And that format is less compressed. So takes more space.

3. Zeynal thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks
    that exactly it - problem fixed now.
    Really appreciate your help!!