Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
I am trying to put some of my home movies onto dvd. They are around 30 to 40 minutes each, and I have them as mp4's (arount 400-450mb each). Now when I import one into iDVD, whilst it does take quite a while to encode them, it also takes up a huge amount of space on the disc. The 40 minute movies take up around 2.4 gb acording to the info page on iDVD.

Is there anyway i can change settings somewhere to enable me to get more than 1 of these onto a dvd, if possible i would like to get 3 movies onto a disc (since i have 6 movies of this size)? I would however settle for 2 on a dvd.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if my post isnt particularly clear.

If you need anymore info please let me know.

Thanks!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
iDVD will automatically adjust the encoding to fit up to about 2 hours on a single layer DVD. For shorter movies it doesn't try as hard to compress stuff to fit, because it doesn't have to. Make sure in the iDVD prefs that you pick Best Quality rather than Best Performance.

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
Thanks for the reply, and the solution.

Changing to best quality has made it much better - indeed I now only require the 2 dvds

Thanks again,

Robert :)

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
You can fit 120 minutes of content(this includes menus, music, slideshows, video, etc.) using iDVD and a single-layer burner. If you use a dual-layer burner, then you can make 240 minute projects.

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
iDVD doesnt work....

Well, I can now fit lots of minutes onto my dvd project, however...

I left my MBP to save the project as an image overnight, and when i checked in the morning, there was no file created, and iDVD had closed.

I set the computer up to create an image again this morning before i went out the door, and having gotten in and checked it, again iDVD is no longer running and there is no image file created.

Can anyone provide anyhelp to me with this please.

I am completely new to DVD Authoring, aswell as to mac's really (at least in windows I'd get somekind of error message when something went wrong!)

Any help will be muchly appreciated.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.