iDVD encoding help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by satointl, May 4, 2010.

1. satointl macrumors member

Hi, I use iDVD to burn short videos I make and the encoding takes a while. Is there anyway to "save" the encoding of that dvdproj so i don't have to encode everytime I want to burn my dvdproj again?

2. satointl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but will this keep the encoding? Or just make a compressed copy of the DVD?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

After reading the link I gave you again, I found this written in there:

As most of us only have one DVD drive in our Macs, this will be a two step process. First we will need to copy the information from the DVD to our hard drive and eject the original DVD. When we copy the original DVD, we will make a 'disc image' (.dmg) of it on our hard drive. A disc image is an exact and perfect clone of the original*. Then we will insert a blank DVD and burn the DVD disc image to the blank DVD.

* in other words: NO FURTHER COMPRESSION, as a video DVD is already compressed like 9 MPa.

4. satointl thread starter macrumors member

Well its not a DVD that I have; its an avi file that came out of my camera. Sorry I should have made that clear. Would i burn it and then save and then dmg? Or just dmg at any time?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is something else entirely. If you use MRoogle, you will get dozens of threads on how to burn video DVDs from .avi files.

You either need Toast Titanium or Burn. to do that.

6. satointl thread starter macrumors member

I have Toast Titanium. I just tried iDVD and I got better quality results. Whenever it burns it just says encoding, processing, burning and so on. When I burn the DVDs one after another, it goes through multiplexing and encoding doesn't appear and wait times are 10x less.

7. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

With iDVD, you can render the result to a disc image (I don't remember the exact wording of the command). It's under the File menu as an option. It will do everything it usually does to create a DVD (all the rendering), but instead of burning it to a disc it will create a disc image. That image can then be used to burn DVDs using Disc Utility.

As already mentioned, if you've already created a DVD, you can create a disc image directly from it that should be identical to the image you would get from iDVD.

8. satointl thread starter macrumors member

9. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Yes, the "Save as Disc Image" selection will allow you to only do the rendering once and then you can burn your discs from Disc Utility.