iDVD encoding question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bonesone4, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Bonesone4 macrumors regular

Hi all. I started building an iDVD (version 6.0.4) project for a wedding Im working on and the videos within my project all encoded properly. However, when I went to preview the DVD within the program, the video quality looked awful. When I checked my preferences, I noticed that I had "Best Performance" checked. So what I did was switch that to "Better Quality" hoping it would fix the problem. it told me all the videos would need to be encoded again so I said "OK."

Now, Im noticing that since I changed it, there seems to be no encoding happening at all. I've quit the program and restarted and nothing is encoding still....Can anyone tell me what I'm doing that may be wrong? Thanks :)

Bones

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In iDVD go to advanced and select the item "Delete Encoded Assets"

This will force iDVD to re-encode.

The screenshot below is from iDVD 7 so it may be slightly different for iDVD 6.
    Picture 1.png

3. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help, but nothing has seemed to happen. Ive selected "delete assets" but they seem to remain in the window.

Bones

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

They will remain where they were but the cache of the encoded video will have been deleted. This will cause iDVD to re encode it, have you tried viewing the footage.

5. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

ah Okay...i have started to watch one of the videos. However the quality still looks pretty bad. I dont understand why though. The exported QT movie from FCE looks ok. I exported it from FCE at 720x408.

Bones

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It might only be a quick encode for the preview. Perhaps burn the project to a disk image to see what the final product will look like.

7. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

Gotcha, okay ill try that. burning a disk image. this means saving the project as a disc image then just burning it on a dvd? whats the difference in just burning it the normal way?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well I meant just saving the disk image and then mounting that in Finder and then watching it in DVD player. This way you don't need to waste a disk on the project.

9. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

Will do...I have to break for a few hours but I will certainly try this later on. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it

Bones

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

No problemo. Report back the results and if there are still problems I'm sure there will be some answers available.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You say all encoded properly already. What do you mean by that? Is your video in DV / HDV format or have you already encoded it to MPEG-2? If you have your video will lose quality as iDVD will re-encode the video files causing another step. I'm not terribly clear what you meant by the bit above.

12. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

Also, realize that when you set iDVD to "Best Quality" it's not supposed to encode in the background anymore. It saves all of the encoding until after you're done working and choose to either save it as an image or burn the disc.

And what do you mean by it looks like crap? Is it blocky? Blurry?