Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlwaysDaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Attempting to burn a dvd from iDVD I get the same error message:

Error during rendering/encoding
There was an error during rendering/encoding of the menus/slideshows. The burning process has been canceled.

It offers no course of action so in Project Info I tried each quality, widescreen and standard, but each time I attempt to burn the dvd it will process the menus, render menu 1 of 1 and all 3 transitions and at the end of this segment I receive the same error message before it starts to process the slideshows of which there are three. Any help and/or advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Have you gone to the Advanced menu in iDVD and deleted encoded assets in between attempts? If you create a short 30 second project with different footage in iMovie and try to burn it through iDVD, does it work? Is it possible that you have put your slideshows into the drop zones where still images/brief clips of video belong?

AlwaysDaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2010
I'm no Mac Genius, so ANYTHING is possible!

But, yes, I deleted the encoded assets, and changed the quality to Professional rather than best to ensure disk space, to no avail. And your final thought would be quite possible except that I didn't use any video, there are simply three slideshows I created to which I added music. When I run the final to see how it will look, it comes out great, it's simply the burning process. Also, I burned an iMovie project via iDVD yesterday, so that did work (albeit three attempts and no idea what finally allowed it to work.) I appreciate the thoughts, though. Have you any others I can try?

rusto88

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
I know this is an old thread but for the benefit of those who might stumble across it with the same problem, I'm bumping.

Found a solution in this Apple Support thread:
I had the same problem with the menu rendering/encoding error and my solution was simple. I had muted the original music that went along with the opening menu sequence of "revolution" - when I "unmuted" it, I was able to burn the dvd without a problem. It sounds silly, but it worked for me and at least one other user on this board, so it's worth a try. Good luck.

You could also try using an older theme, which worked for me.

Malcolm C

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2018
I was also stumped until I tried unmuting the menu theme. It would not render beyond the menu page...an then quit... citing an ...error....no help there.

Anyway...unmuting the menu theme music worked. IOS 10.11.6 and iDVD 7.1.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.