iDVD File size

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Amerikhastan, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Amerikhastan macrumors newbie

I'm trying burn a movie but when I insert my movie (503.3 MB) into iDVD the disc capacity thing goes from 23MB (Menu) to 7.37GB just by adding the movie. It's confusing me so if someone could shed some light on how I can I can fix this glitch (if it is one) or how to make it significantly smaller if it isn't a glitch.

2. akadmon macrumors 68010

Sounds like instead of adding short clips, you added your entire movie to several of your iDVD menus.

3. Amerikhastan thread starter macrumors newbie

I only have one menu.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Length of the movie, not size of the movie file, determines how much space the movie will take up on a DVD because everything gets converted to DVD spec MPEG2. iDVD will let you fit a max of 2hrs on a DVD.

Lethal

5. Amerikhastan thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, is there a free program I can use that will let me burn a dvd longer than 2 hours?

6. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

Solution...

Set iDVD to dual-layer DVD in the Project Info. You will then be able to import your entire movie. When done with all your editing, menus, etc., save it all as a disc image and then use DVD 2OneX or Toast to compress it to just under 4.4 GB to fit on a single layer disc. You will barely notice any quality loss. :)