iDVD help -- 7billion GB required to burn

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sachachin, Dec 13, 2010.

1. sachachin macrumors newbie

After 6 months of working on a project, I'm finally ready to burn it to DVD and send it off to friends. Whenever I try to burn the disc through iDVD, though, a message pops up that there is "not enough free space for encoding the remaining assets."

At first, I figured this was because I only had 2-3GB free on my hard drive. After spending a few hours cleaning it up, I had over 10GB free and still no luck. The video and dvd files were all saved on an external hard drive, which is also embarrassingly full. I've tried both moving the file onto the internal hard drive and clearing a bit of space off of the external, but still no dice.

On one last attempt, I noticed a drop-down section in the error message window. According to the details it provides, the file requires 7171062428 GB on my computer. Now, I know that I'm working on a huge file (one video is ~35 minutes and there are two more 10 minute ones and pictures in the drop zones on the DVD), but that's just absurd. There was also a little squiggly symbol before the first 7... not sure what that meant.

Has anyone gotten this error message before? Any idea how I should proceed? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you post a screenshot? (http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X)

What Mac OS X and iDVD version on what Mac do you use?

Btw, to have less than 10% of the internal or external HDD free, is not really recommended, due to temporary files and maintenance. It might actually harm your HDD if you leave it almost constantly full (95% +) and use it constantly.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://www.apple.com/support/ilife/tutorials/idvd/id2-6.html

4. sachachin thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm working on a Macbook 80GB, which is running OS X 10.5.8. iDVD is version 6.0.4.

The iDVD file is only just over 2GB. Am I correct in assuming that the actual size of the project is the iDVD file plus the individual video files? The Project Info screen says the file is 3.5GB and that there are 10.08 GB free on the HDD, which should be more than enough.

Do I need twice as much free on the internal or the external drive? (or both?) The DVD project file is saved on both and can be opened on either, but the videos are all saved on the external.

I'm having a hard time uploading the screenshot here, but will keep trying. Thank you both for your help!!

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Just to help you with the screenshot:

1) To take the screenshot: Press Command & Shift & 4. A symbol that looks like a target will appear. Click and drag over what you are trying to capture. Once you let go, the image file will be placed in it's destination (by default I believe it's the desktop).

2) To insert it into a reply: When you're on the reply page, you'll notice where it says fonts, sizes, smiley face, etc. To the right of the smiley face there is a paper clip. That is for attachments, click it, select the file, and post your reply.

6. sachachin, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010

sachachin thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for your help!

Here is the screenshot of the error message I've been getting in iDVD.

aaaand I feel like an idiot. I swear that first "1" did not appear as such in the iDVD window. It really was a squiggly line...

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You simply need more free space.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You definitely need to clean up your hd. just download the free trial of MacKeeper and do it's fast clean up. chances are, with amount of space taken up, it'll clean up quite a bit (maybe 10 gb or more).

9. sachachin thread starter macrumors newbie

Right. My question, if it's possible to guess, is how much more. I doubt apple really expects me to have 17171062428 GB free on my computer or any hard drive...

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not? It's a good idea to keep at least about 10% of the drive space free, so you don't run into paging problems from your drive filling up. On a 200GB drive, that's 20GB. That's not unreasonable.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don’t think they make drives this big. :D

Your DVD burner is giving you an erroneous message. Try freeing up some space as suggested and try burning it again.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I was obviously counting the numbers and forgetting about the "GB" at the end! LOL!

13. gorjan macrumors 6502

Hehe, I hope so. I would feel it was quite unreasonable.
    :p

14. sachachin thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so to recap:

-- The project is 3.5GB, and should need about 7GB free to burn a DVD.
    -- The internal HDD has 9-10GB free.
    -- The external only has 1-2GB free (terrible, I know, but I'm getting a terabyte next week).
    -- iDVD seems to think this project requires 17171062428GB.

Is there any chance I can burn this DVD today or this week? Time Machine won't let me clear space off of the external hard drive, which is where I'm thinking iDVD is looking for the 7GB (or 17171062428GB) of space.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

iDVD only looks for space on the boot device.

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You just have to clear some space, simple as that. You should do it anyways, even if this wasn't an issue with iDVD.

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Maybe a dumb question, but is the OP's software fully updated?

18. sachachin thread starter macrumors newbie

Other than Safari, all software is up to date. I didn't purchase the update iLife suite, but thought the older version should work fine.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

iDVD is exactly the same in iLife 09 and 11. Hmmm... in that case, I have no idea what is causing your problems.

20. sachachin thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the Macbook in August '06, so the iLife version is the '06 one.