iDVD help, file too "big"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adamvk, Jan 28, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I'm trying to make some DVDs using iDVD. I want to play The Dark Knight and Benders Big Game at other locations. Anyways, I'm trying to make separate discs, not one disc for both movies. When I try to drag the file to iDVD, it says that the file is too big and to play with encoder settings. The encoder settings are already at best performance. In Finder, the file is 808MB, yet iDVD claims it is 8.08GB. I know for a fact that the file is 808mb, not 8.08GB. The file was .avi, so I converted it to .divx, and this still didn't fix it. I also tried the other movie which is .mp4, and I had the same problem. What should I do to fix it?

Thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

For iDVD to burn a playable video onto a DVD disc, it has to re-encode the data into MPEG2. So while the physical file, .avi may be 808 MB, the encoding process is probably blowing it to 10 times that amount. Only way to get this onto a DVD would be by using a dual layer disc (9.4 GB), but it's a moot point if your DVD player doesn't support playback of dual layer DVDs.

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Hmm. So is there anyway to get these files to work on a single-layer disc?

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

As iDVD makes a too big file you should convert your own, right sized video. Im pretty sure there are programs That will do That for you. And try using toast, maybe it will allow you to convert it into as smaller file. I personally use compressor (final cut studio) to convert movies in the right size. There is an option dvd 120 minutes . Turn I burn it in dvdstudio pro.

Good luck

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is gonna be tough. You ripped two dual-layer disks (4 layers) and you want fit that video onto one single layer disk?

I don't think iMovie can do that much compression, and even if you get another program to do it, I doubt that squeezing something that tight is going to look good.

You're doing all this so you can avoid carrying 1 extra disk? May I suggest that that might be the easiest solution?

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

No I ripped it from 1 disc, and want that file to fit on a singlelayer disc.

and thanks arjen92, ill try those programs.

7. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk