iDVD hmm not sure about this

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by azza2988, Jul 21, 2010.

1. azza2988 macrumors member

hi ppl, i wonder how long should it take to do a dvd with iDVD? i got 3 video files around 366mb each it says going to take around 5 hours is that right? i got imac i7 thought bit damn long, on my vista laptop i can do same dvd in around a hour easy and a lot lower spec than my imac

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are those 366 MB files highly compressed videos, .avi or .mp4 (Divx/Xvid or H264) for example?
    How long in minutes are those videos?

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see how much CPU iDVD uses.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under Minor Problems)
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

Example: iDVD takes 5 hours to make a DVD with 3x YY min of video on an i7 iMac

3. azza2988 thread starter macrumors member

there all xvid is that why they take ages on the mac? on the activity screen it showing around 300% cpu

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How long are those videos? Each is 42 to 45 minutes I suppose? Any you want to burn it to a Single Layer (SL) DVD (4.7GB, 4.37GiB), thus 126 to 135 minutes of video are crammed into 4.7GB? If that is so, then iDVD needs to work very hard, as the MPEG-2 codec is not as efficient as the MPEG-4 codec variants (like Xvid or Divx or H264), thus it normally takes up more space (150 minutes on 8.5GB/7.9GiB).
    Have you also taken a look at Activity Monitor or "How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience"

5. azza2988 thread starter macrumors member

yea roughly around 45mins each, i put on professional quality to fit on single dvd the others make it too big and doesnt fit

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What does Activity Monitor say (three times the charm?) during the encoding process?

And again, 135 minutes of a SL DVD is too much, unless you want low quality, something Professional Quality seems to be the opposite of.
    Either use Dual Layer (DL) DVDs (8.5GB/7.9GiB) or only take two videos for an SL DVD or choose a lower quality setting.

And have that look at Activity Monitor during one of those encoding processes to see if it takes advantage of all the four cores.

7. azza2988 thread starter macrumors member

i got it on now the most its been is 322 and keeps average of around 320 - 300 cpu

8. azza2988 thread starter macrumors member

its just dropped from 5hr 30mins to 1hr 49 mins