iDVD in OS Lion is not included? Why?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by stuart2102, Jun 20, 2012.

1. stuart2102 macrumors regular

stuart2102

whoahh very disappointed when i try to look for iDVD application on my new OS lion coz its not there anymore unlike in snow leopard and the previous OS, very sad for this company instead of more app on a new OS it downgraded, what shame!!! I'm planning to buy as my personal used but i think it change my mind luckily this iMac is company own tsk tsk tsk very disappointment

2. AdrianK, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

AdrianK macrumors 68020

Haven't you heard? Optical media is dead :rolleyes: Seriously, Apple is just trying to wean people off optical media. They'd rather you had an Apple TV than a DVD player, think of that what you will but it's just the way it goes...

Also, this isn't about Lion, it's about iLife. iDVD was dropped from iLife '11 (as was iWeb), and since '11 is the latest version, that's what your mac shipped with.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Apple doesn't make money from optical media, so it makes sense from them to try and ween us off it.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Apple appears to be under the impression that CDs and DVDs are dead. Since my entire music collection is on CDs and will continue to be, I naturally disagree. Probably why I now use my PC more than my MBA.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Fixed.

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

*facepalm* Thank you.

7. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Because Apple doesn't earn something and can not generate valuable user profiles when you buy a CD or DVD. Obviously it's outdated to keep ones personal preferences, informations and data private, that's why cloud services and online software/music/movie stores are the future. It's simply so much more convenient for corporations to know everything about you. It's the future, Apple, Google and Microsoft say so, so shut up and embrace it. :rolleyes:

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Well, apple loves to remove features. Not add them ;)

9. nec207 macrumors 6502

Are you sure the iDVD is not there ? Have you done a search on your computer?

10. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

Yes im pretty sure!!! is ur OS X Lion has it? mine i just purchase 3 weeks ago and it was my surprise when i want to work on iDVD its not there anymore in fact it try to copy the apps of iDVD on my Snow Leopard to my Lion if its gonna work but fail

11. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Apple stopped shipping iDVD with Macs pre-installed with OS X Lion (so last summer). No one that has a Mac that came out of the box with Lion has iDVD, unless they specifically bought a boxed copy of iLife '11 which isn't sold anymore by Apple.

Copies are floating around on Ebay for 30-40$ if you really need iDVD.

12. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

It's really easy to get iDVD. Just go to this link and buy iLife 09 for 30 bucks.

13. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Why iLife 09 ? You'll get an outdated version of iDVD. The iLife 11 box set comes with the latest iDVD version.

14. imac'n'me macrumors newbie

so i can create a movie in iMovie but i can't burn it onto a dvd? jeez. this new iMac has a stupid downside for every positive so far.

does anybody have a work around for this?

15. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

Now i knew that all these goes into money making shame on it tsk tsk can i still buy the Snow Leopard? or maybe just not to buy anymore on mac products

16. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

What link? Or are you being ironic?

"How do I get out of the well?"

"Use the rope"

"There is no rope . . ."

17. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

You can always buy a 3rd party application like Toast. It's more robust than iDVD for basic media management.

18. sigamy macrumors 65816

Save a few bucks and get a copy of iLife '09 with iDVD. The iDVD included in iLife '11 is the same app, just with some bug fixes.

Don't quote me on this but you may even be able to get all the latest updates (fixes) once you have iDVD installed.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

20. nec207 macrumors 6502

Are you sure ? That does not make sense even if 15% people use iDVD.

Have you done a search? Could it got delete ? Have you checked the Mac app store ?

21. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

iDVD has been EOL'd. That means end of life. Apple doesn't sell iDVD anymore anywhere.

22. nec207 macrumors 6502

Huu??

23. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I'm 100% sure. It's all over the web. Macs shipped with Lion never had iDVD. iDVD was never put on the Mac App Store, and the boxed sets with iLife '11 are not available from Apple.

Search ebay, they are there.

24. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

I had the same reaction as you. I find it borderline to sell computers with iLife in 2010 (so, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand, etc) with heavy advertising, then 1 year later, you finally buy the current version of that computer and, whoooop, iDVD is not there.
    So you look around the internet for a boxed version - no luck in getting something quickly and 100% sure to run with Lion and along your existing iLife '11.

No wonder lots of people torrent it now...

And I find it sad that Apple now does not even offer the choice to download the app as a standalone, even paid, version - all the more since there is still much demand for it (look at the forums)! Choice is generally good.

Well, just my $,02.

25. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle