iDVD installation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lhill, Jan 30, 2012.

1. lhill macrumors newbie

I got a new MacBook Pro and was disappointed to find that it doesn't have iDVD (so lame...), which I used regularly on my old Mac and was planning on doing the same with my new one. I found iLife '09 on craigslist for $20 (says it's opened but never used), but I only want iDVD. All the other iLife programs are '11 (I'm assuming), so I don't want to replace those with '09 versions. Can I install just iDVD? Also, I think I read that the '11 iDVD didn't change much from '09 so it should work ok for me to use the older one rather than buying iLife '11, right? Thanks in advance!

Lindsay

2. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I personally would not try to save a few dollars by buying the craigslist iLife '09 rather than getting iLife '11 ($25 more bucks), just for the risk. You had to of spend a good chunk of change for the MBP, so why get cheap now? IMO. It does suck that it is not included, and that most of iLife '11 comes already installed. But what to you do???:confused: You might like to look into Roxio toast if you decide to go the more $$ way.
    I don't know if you can only install iDVD '09 and uninstall the rest of iLife '09 for sure or if possible, and to keep iPhoto'11, iMovie'11, etc. from original disc. It seems possible, but maybe a hassle in the works. $20 for iLife'09 or $40+iLife'11? Hope it all works for you.

3. lsa196 macrumors newbie

iLife 11

From what I've read, I didn't think iLife 11 includes iDVD or iWeb

4. Jim61 macrumors newbie

You should be able to install only iDVD from an iLife DVD or any other installation discs that contain iDVD using Pacifist.