idvd kills my mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by galstaph, Feb 8, 2010.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

So yesterday, I pull out an old idvd project I had so I can edit the menus and re-burn it. I had originaly creaed it on my old SR mbp so I thought, hey my mac pro (octad 2.26) should scream when re-encoding and running idvd... well... If I open idvd, (first time on this machine) I get beach-balls galore:mad: If I want to do anything above encoding, (i.e safari, firefox) I have to click, wait, click wait... I'm not sure if this is connected to the audio issue or not but this is ridiculous! I have one of the fastest machines on the market and idvd is bogging it down (not on cpu usage though:confused: ram is high but still has some room free; so istat shows) so other programs will not work.

Anyone else having idvd issues on these machines?
    BTW a 1h07m movie, with menu at 16:9 ntsc, on professional quality takes about 3h50m to encode... seems high to me...

Applecare is getting more and more attractive as March gets closer....

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I know that youtube.com/adiblasi had some issues with it on his Octo-Mac Pro Nehalem. Have you tried the normal steps of reinstalling iDVD and trashing any preference files or ~/Library/ references?

3. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I seem to be having similar issues. Launching any application either slows down the system into a freeze with a beachball or it isn't responsive at all. I started a thread this morning on it. Someone told me to try a clean install but seriously at this point I don't have the time or gusto to do so. I find myself most of the time on my Windows 7 partition which runs blazing fast and perfect. Strange how Windows runs better on my Mac Pro than OSX does :rolleyes:

Anyways here's a link to my thread, maybe it'll help in the long run. ENDLESS BEACHBALLS AND RANDOM FREEZES

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I think idvd is to blame. that application sucks.

5. rtrt, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011