idvd kills my mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by galstaph, Feb 8, 2010.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2002
    The Great White North Eh
    So yesterday, I pull out an old idvd project I had so I can edit the menus and re-burn it. I had originaly creaed it on my old SR mbp so I thought, hey my mac pro (octad 2.26) should scream when re-encoding and running idvd... well... If I open idvd, (first time on this machine) I get beach-balls galore:mad: If I want to do anything above encoding, (i.e safari, firefox) I have to click, wait, click wait... I'm not sure if this is connected to the audio issue or not but this is ridiculous! I have one of the fastest machines on the market and idvd is bogging it down (not on cpu usage though:confused: ram is high but still has some room free; so istat shows) so other programs will not work.

Anyone else having idvd issues on these machines?
    BTW a 1h07m movie, with menu at 16:9 ntsc, on professional quality takes about 3h50m to encode... seems high to me...

Applecare is getting more and more attractive as March gets closer....
  2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Feb 13, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I know that had some issues with it on his Octo-Mac Pro Nehalem. Have you tried the normal steps of reinstalling iDVD and trashing any preference files or ~/Library/ references?
  3. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2007
    I seem to be having similar issues. Launching any application either slows down the system into a freeze with a beachball or it isn't responsive at all. I started a thread this morning on it. Someone told me to try a clean install but seriously at this point I don't have the time or gusto to do so. I find myself most of the time on my Windows 7 partition which runs blazing fast and perfect. Strange how Windows runs better on my Mac Pro than OSX does :rolleyes:

Anyways here's a link to my thread, maybe it'll help in the long run. ENDLESS BEACHBALLS AND RANDOM FREEZES
  4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

Aug 24, 2007
    I think idvd is to blame. that application sucks.
  5. rtrt, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011