iDVD >> .mp4/AVI/Anything

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SChaput, May 6, 2009.

1. SChaput macrumors regular

I have a project in iDVD that i would really like to make into a format that is playable on my computer. I have not used iDVD very much but i enjoy alot of themes and would like to take advantage of them when i can. If anyone has any steps on this, i would appreciate it, thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you convert an iDVD-made DVD into a video file like an MP4, just like when you convert any other DVD, you'll lose all the menus, navigation, and other "special features." The video files don't generally support any of that. So your converted MP4 will be basically just the main title, like if you Handbraked a movie.

On the other hand, if you want everything -- the navigation and menus and so on, just save the DVD contents (the VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS, etc folders) in a folder anywhere on your HD. If you point VLC (any platform) or DVD Player at them, then they will play the VIDEO_TS folder just as if it were a DVD.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you can turn the project into a dvd image that is saved onto your computer.

File->Save As Disc Image-will do it for you. once its finished encoding you open up the image and go into the application "DVD Player", in here go File->Open DVD Media-and then navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder in the disc image you created.

that method is a 'virtual dvd'.

you could also go into iDVD then go Project->Project Info-this will show you where the movies are coming from, mavigate to them and then you can convert them using a movie converter if you want them in mp4,avi,whatever format.