iDVD noob question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bate8473, May 24, 2009.

1. bate8473 macrumors newbie

Alright so after about 3 years of owning a MBP, I have never used the iPhoto and iDVD software. Long story short, my girlfriend is studying abroad in Italy, and I want to make a slideshow (done), save it to my thumb drive (done), and present it to her as a gift when she leaves. So that when she plugs it into her MBP it will play when she opens it, the only problem is that when I go through the thumb drive and open it that way, it wants to open it so that it will edit it.

Is there anyway that I can save the project to the thumb drive and make it that it will function the same way as if it was burned onto a DVD itself?

Thank you in advance for all your help :)

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you have iDVD 7 then you can save as disk image from the File menu. If you do so, all your girlfriend will need to do is double click the .dmg file generated as a result, launch her DVD player application which will act as if a physical video DVD was inserted.

3. bate8473 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright sweet, that ended up working. The only problem now though, is that the menu page and the actual movie saved as two different movies, and the menu page doesnt actually start the movie, do you know how to fix this :)

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Not quite sure I'm following here. After creating the .dmg, you copied that to the flash drive, and you when you run the .dmg on a Mac OS computer, all you should need to do is bring up the DVD player on the computer system to play back the virtual DVD. You should not have to click on each individual file to begin playback. Perhaps I forgot to ask the question as far as what computer system your girlfriend is intending to play back the slideshow on...

5. bate8473 thread starter macrumors newbie

well she is planning on getting a new mac soon, before she heads off to Italy for a semester. I was just openning it up on the thumb drive itself, should I open it through another program for it to play as a whole, like iMovie?

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

As I indicated in some of the earlier posts, with the .dmg on the flash drive, all you need to do is double-click the .dmg. It should appear as if you have connected another removable disk to the computer system. Once that is accomplished, and you open the DVD player application manually, it will behave as if you have a video DVD inserted and begin playback. There should not be any need to launch any of the individual files in the mounted image.