Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Ok, so I want to make a compilation DVD of these tv shows i've been doing for my school. Every show is on a seperate DVD burned on a stand alone burner, so I just pulled each VOB and renamed them to what they were (Episode 3, etc.). So they work fine in VLC, but they won't go into an iDVD project to make them all onto one DVD because apparently even with the MPEG2 component iDVD refuses to read it's native output format. I like the themes and such with iDVD, but I don't want to have to compress these into DV and then straight back to MPEG2 if I can avoid it. Is DVD studio pro advisible? (Can I use the iDVD theme with it?)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
You did something you shouldnt have.

let me explain.

MPEG2 is the format for DVDs, but to make them compatible with set top players they have to be authored into .VOBs. Which are NOT simply a video file, its a data file that contains video.

YOU CAN NOT USE .VOBs in iDVD or DVDSP, they are the END result of DVD authoring, not something you can use to start a DVD.

iDVD themes work in DVDSP, yes.

and DVDSP can view and use MPEG2 (.m2v right?).

I am 90% positive you will have to extract the MPEG2 from the .VOB using something like Handbrake.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Sdashiki said:
I am 90% positive you will have to extract the MPEG2 from the .VOB using something like Handbrake.

HandBrake cannot extract MPEG-2 data from DVDs... It can export to DivX, MPEG-4 and H.264, but no MPEG-2.

Maybe you were thinking of MacTheRipper?

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Well, whatever VOB files are, they contain a muxed MPEG2 stream, which I can extract easily into like a .m2v using FFMPEG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.