iDVD on Quicksilver

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Aug 31, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

This is more of a software question I realize, but I'm posting it here because it's software being used on a PowerPC machine.

In any case, I've been tasked with putting together a DVD slideshow for my grandfather's funeral. I've been working on it since Friday, but am getting to "crunch time" as it needs to be ready by 4:00 PM EDT tomorrow(Monday).

I did the show itself in iMovie, and finally(after a few revisions) have something that I think everyone is happy with.

My problem is coming when I'm trying to get it to export to iDVD. The requirements are not that complicated-the show itself is around 7 minutes long. When I set it up in iDVD, I just have one menu option that leads into the slide show that loops continuously once started.

My initial drafts took about 3 minutes to burn to a DVD. Subsequent revisions have increased the rendering time substantially. I'm now sitting at about 2 hours to burn a DVD(still about 7 of play time), and am far too frequently ending up with an unplayable DVD when all is said and done.

I have cleaned the DVD drive.

The time is my big concern, as it gives me little room for error.

Just to give the full information-I'm using a Quicksilver 2002 with dual 1ghz processors and have 1.25gb of RAM. I'm running 10.5.8.

And, yes I realize this probably isn't the best piece of hardware to do this on, but one works with what one haves. The Quicksilver had most of my photos on it already. My G5 would likely be a better choice and I could get it if need be, but it's a(roughly) 2.5 hour round trip from where I am at the moment so don't want to make that time investment unless I could be assured of a payoff. I also don't have iDVD on my Macbook Pro, so it's out for doing what I really need to do. The Quicksilver is the most capable piece of hardware I have at my current location that also has all the software that I need.

I should also add that I'm really very ignorant when doing this kind of work-I'm operating on pretty specific instructions from the funeral home home and have it set up as they want, it's just taking far too long in final form.

I'd appreciate any help that folks here might be able to give.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Save it out of iMovie as a movie file and then create a project in iDVD. Then import it and save it as a disk image in iDVD that way you won't have to keep rerendering each time you burn.

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks for the suggestion-I'm rendering as dmg now. It's still going to take 2 hours, but at least once it's done I'll be able to replicate it quickly(assuming it works).

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can verify this by simply mounting the .dmg and opening DVD Player in /Applications. Do a quick play and then you can burn in Disk Utility.

Tip: Always save your movie in iMovie and then import it to iDVD. Never try to use the send to iDVD functionality as I find it buggy.

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Success(and with time to spare)!

Thanks for the help.

And, if I get dragged into a project like this again, I'm going to do whatever it takes to do get my G5 to where I'm working on it! As much as I like my Quicksilver, it definitely shows its limitations with a project like this.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I use iMovie and iDVD a lot. PM me and I can send over some settings that I use for my projects.