iDVD: Problem with iTunes authorization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toddrohner, Jul 24, 2007.

1. toddrohner macrumors newbie

I have created an iMovie from a family vacation. The movie included songs from my iTunes library. Some of the songs were purchased from the iTunes store. I shared the movie with iDVD and was able to burn it to disc once. After checking the disc out and determining that I am satisfied with it, I attempted to burn additional copies. When I attempt to burn additional copies, it generates the following message.

"Authorize Computer - This computer is not authorized to play "01 Margaritaville.m4p". If you purchased this song you can open iTunes and authorize this computer to play this song by entering your Apple ID and password." (screen capture attached)

The computer is already authorized. I tried to follow the prompt to open iTunes and authorize computer. iTunes reflects that the computer is authorized. The song plays fine in both iTunes and iMovie. Additionally, the song plays fine in iDVD when I first start the software. After cancelling with the above referenced message, the song no longer plays in iDVD until I restart the software. I have attempted to complete this with iTunes open and closed. Neither way have worked. I have also attempted to create a disc image rather than burn the disc directly. This results in the same message.

I contacted Apple Care and the person I spoke with indicated that it may be a licensing issue where purchased songs are not allowed in iMovie/iDVD. The person did not sound sure. I found his statement difficult to believe as I was able to add the tracks and burn it once.

Anyone have any input or suggestions? Thank you in advance for any assistance. I did a search of forums and did not find anything relevant.

FYI, I do not need to burn additional copies of this DVD as I used disk utility to copy the one successful copy. I am seeking resolution of this so that I know how to proceed with additional movies that I am making.

- Todd

Attached Files:

2. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

Couldn't you just burn the songs you need onto a CD and re-import them into iTunes? I'm pretty sure that removes the DRM or something.

3. toddrohner thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess that would work as a "work-around". Should one be able to used purchased songs in an iMovie?

4. shillcock macrumors newbie

I am seeing the same issue here. I have a song purchased from iTunes used in a movie created with iMovie. I had problems with getting the song to stay authorized in iMovie. Now when I am trying to make a disk image from iDVD it keeps asking me to authorize the song. So I do it but iDVD just asks me to do it again over and over.

The song plays fine in iTunes and even on my other mac.

5. joeschmuckitell macrumors newbie

Me, too.

I am having this issue, as well. I have not yet sent it to iDVD, so it is good to know that it will record to DVD. My iMovie is asking me to re-authorize every time I want to save...and I have to re-enter my iTunes password for every song. Grrrrr! :mad:

6. sonja macrumors newbie

problem started recently

Same here. I have several imovie projects - all used to play fine, until maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago when I did some software updates. Now I see the same behavior. All songs I purchased through itunes (on the same computer) show up as unauthorized, but the ones I got from CDs work fine.

Funny side issue... to test the problem I downloaded a song with bittorent, and it plays nicely.

7. americanuck macrumors newbie

iTunes authorization problem

I've had the same problem with using songs from my iTunes into iMovie. There are 4-5 threads on the Apple Site between 6/12 to present. Click on the "Support" tab -> software -> iMovie HD -> iLife Community Discussions -> iMovie. Many people are experiencing this problem, there have been several suggestions and so far there is no resolution.

8. aclark1021 macrumors newbie

moved itunes library

i put together a group of slide shows and went to put it on IDVD. In between creating the shows and trying to burn the dvd i moved my itunes files to another drive. since then I have been getting the authentication message, which i never got in the past. I'm moving the files back to my mac to see if this will fix the problem. if not i think i will have to either resoundtrack the slideshows or strip the drm off my purchased songs.

Coincidently wasn't there a new version of itunes just before this thread was started?

9. toddrohner thread starter macrumors newbie

FWIW, I did contact apple care regarding this issue. They weren't sure, but thought it might be a licensing issue. They forwarded me to iTunes support. iTunes support asked if I was using the current version of Quicktime and then forwarded me back to applecare. Spoke with one of the mac geniuses and they suggested, as suggested by others here and elsewhere, to burn the songs onto CD to strip the DRM.

10. aclark1021 macrumors newbie

stripping drm is no help

I stripped the drm off the songs i was using and still no help. I think i will have to redo the soundtracks to all the slide shows and try again.

11. aclark1021 macrumors newbie

drm stripping and reodoing soundtrack

I stripped all my drm with drm dumpster and tried to burn the dvd. No joy on that one.

I went back into imovie and re-edited the soundtracks with the drm free songs. burning was successful with not authorization error and the slide shows worked on my dvd player with the music intact.

hope this helps

12. kaburke311 macrumors newbie

iMovie iDVD ITunes Purchased Music

I have the same thing happening to me - I have this huge project and now that I am trying to finish - the purchased music won't play. Tried burning a cd and transfer - did not work. ANY suggestions will be so appreciated! My project is due Tuesday!

13. kaburke311 macrumors newbie

Where did you get the DRM free music from?

Any ideas how I can download these songs without DRM?

14. kinder71 macrumors newbie

having the same problem

I am having the same problem with authorizing the computer for every song. I noticed in the summary of this particular song it says it is a "protected aac audio file" where as other songs are " purchased aac audio files"
    I have tried burning the song onto a cd and then dragging the cd into the project,but this didn't work. I had the same result of having to authorize each song. Don't you have to burn the song several times for the DRM to be removed? I have had one successful burn, but I wasn't happy with the final so I went back and did some changes and the next time I burned it the music wasn't there in the menu and scene selection panes.
    I am sooo frustrated. There has to be a way around this pesky problem.:eek:

15. driposa macrumors newbie

DRM dumpster

what is a drm dumpster and will this be more useful to me given I have two home computers that use itunes, with hopefully one account