iDVD problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stringtheorist, Dec 2, 2014.

1. stringtheorist macrumors regular

I am trying to burn an HD DVD project in iDVD 7.1.2. My system is OS X Yosemite and I created the movie in iMovie 09.

When I preview the movie in iDVD the resolution looks fine but when I burn it to a disc or to folders the resulting image is low res (pixelated edges), even though I have gone into Project Info and selected "professional quality" from the menu. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

HD DVD was a protocol developed to compete with Blu-ray. It failed. However, Apple never supported either HD DVD or Blu-ray. iDVD burns standard DVD irrespective of the source. The resolution of standard DVD is 720 x 480 rectangular pixels. If the display is 4:3, then the pixels are "tall." If the display is 16:9, then the pixels are "wide."

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

How long is the video (minutes)

Perhaps iMovie 09 has an export option that creates DVD compatible video in higher quality. You would then use iDVD to assemble (author) the video onto a DVD and burn.

Not sure what kind of compression iDVD uses for professional quality. I have better results making DVD compatible video in other software, and then just assemble and author (add menus, burn) the DVD.

DVDSP, if you can get it, can burn HD quality video to a standard DVD blank, but then you would need a HD DVD player to view it. Compressor that sometimes comes with it has several knobs to turn to maximize video quality for a given length video. Higher the quality the less video you can fit on a DVD

You can make standard DVD look pretty good, but not as good a HD. YouTube or USB sticks may be a better way to distribute high quality video.