iDVD "professional quality" comparison?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by huntercr, Sep 20, 2007.

1. huntercr macrumors 65816

Does anyone know of a site that has reviewed iDVD 08 that actually put the quality levels to the test? I'm especially interested in comparing "professional qualtity" to the output of compressor to see how good this new quality setting really is.

I was thinking of testing it myself, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else already has.

Thanks!

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I don't know of a site that compares, but I can tell you iDVD's professional quality isn't as good as Compressor, provided you really know how to use Compressor.

Just by using presets, iDVD is probably on par with a higher bitrate Compressor preset, but after tweaking Compressor's settings, using compression markers, etc, Compressor still wins.

3. tcgjeukens macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

Hunter,

True, there is a difference in quality between iDVD and Compressor + DVDSP.
    See : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=357626#5 for a small background on the level of squeezing/ compression that is required to fit your (edited) video on a DVD.

A comparison will be rather difficult as there are many levers in Compressor to vary with.
    The level of compression also depends on your source material. Is it fast moving or slow moving, many colours or little, etc.

The BIG advantage of Compressor is that you have a lot of control on the squeezing.

Coen

4. huntercr thread starter macrumors 65816

I think I wasn't being clear in my original post. I am saying, how much better is the new iDVD 08's "professional quality" setting versus "Best Performance" and "High Quality", but at the same time wanting to see how locse "professional quality" actually comes when compared to compressor.

I know that Compressor can yield extraordinary quality above and beyond anything iDVD can do, but since it is not an unknown, it's good to benchmark against.

5. razyl123 macrumors newbie

Bump! I'd also like to know if anyone has compared quality of the iDVD 08 settings.