iDVD Quality Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trev, Oct 17, 2007.

1. trev macrumors 6502

In iDVD '08 in the preferences somewhere the encoding can be set to either best, high, or professional

In iDVD 7 it says something like good or best.

So basically I'm wondering if iDVD 7 "best" is equivalent to iDVD '08 "professional"... or if the professional quality is actually 2 "steps" higher than the 7 "best". I wish there were numbers shown on the preferences so I can actually see what I was selecting. Thanks.

Trevor

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

In either version, "best quality" should be the same for projects less than 60 or 90 minutes (I forgot the exact cutoff point, too lazy to look up.) Best performance means it will start encoding in the background while you are still working on your project, but as the project is not completed it assumes it will be a long one, like 2 hours, so it compresses more and you lose a bit of quality if your project turns out less than 60 minutes. On the other hand, when you complete your project and tell iDVD to burn it, it takes less time to finish the burn as it has already encoded some of the stuff.

iDVD 8 professional mode is supposed to give you better quality if you have a long project, but I suspect it will take longer than best performance or best quality.