iDVD refuses to open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macnator, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Macnator macrumors 6502

Hey guys.

So I went to start up iDVD today, and it won't even launch. Nothing. I click it, it just says "iDVD quit unexpectedly" every single time. :confused:

What's going on here? :confused::confused:

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Move your com.apple.iDVD.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences to the Desktop and rerun iDVD. If that doesn’t work, open Disk Utility and repair permissions. If not that, maybe reboot.

3. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Did all that and even rebooted and it still won't open. :confused:

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

5. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

What if I don't have the iLife install disc? All I have is the iLife that came installed on my iMac. I have the Snow Leopard install disc and I didn't see an option for iDVD on it either.

Should I go ahead with this if I don't have the disc?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wouldn’t. You might try googling “iDVD won’t open."

7. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so I installed an iDVD update from Apple's site and it's working now.

Another problem, when I launch it, I don't see the application's window. I only see the apps' menu bar.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Now you might want to delete the plist again and re-open iDVD.

9. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't help. Can't things just work! :( It just pops up telling me to create a new project, open existing project, Magic iDVD and OneStep DVD. I created a new project like 10 times already and I still don't see the application window.

10. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

I was watching a tutorial on Apple.ca on how to make a DVD using Magic iDVD, and the person clicked the button, so I click it and I get nothing. No window comes up or anything. Just the menu bar appears, and almost all options in File, Edit, etc are grayed out.

Oh and iDVD keeps freezing.

For the love of god. :mad:

11. DrRock, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

DrRock macrumors regular

Similar problem

I checked out the link above, and I'm going to try it, but I wanted some advice first.

My iDVD program has been working fine, but recently when I try to open it, it just stalls & stalls for at least 30 minutes. When I finally see a window, I get the message that a movie file can't be found (A render file) for the most recent project. When given the option to search or cancel, I am unable to select either, as the program has gone into "Application not responding" mode. I then must force quit.

This is likely because I deleted that project. I want to create a new project, but the program seems to keep searching for those old files to open the most recent project.

Three questions:
    1. Will a reinstall fix the problem?
    2. Can I only install iDVD and leave my other programs as is without issues?
    3. Once I've reinstalled, can I set the iDVD preferences to not open the most recent project so I can avoid this issue in the future?

*update-
    I wasn't able to do some of the steps described in the link. I couldn't find installed themes or the iDVD cache. I did move my iLife plist to the desktop and do a reinstall & update, and that got it going fine.

Thanks!