iDVD: regions? NTSC/PAL?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zfilipov, Jul 23, 2009.

1. zfilipov macrumors newbie

Hi, could somebody please explain the differences between regions and NTSC/PAL?

I know that US and Canada are region 1, most of Europe is region 2, etc. and I know that US is NTSC and Europe is PAL. I am burning a home video from the United States and sending it to Serbia (in Europe). I know that it's quicker to share it online, but many of my relatives don't have internet. So, how can I burn a DVD in the US using iDVD that will play in Serbia??? Please.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Region code is what the studios use to make more money. It's not added by iDVD.

You do have to choose between NTSC and PAL in iDVD setting though.
    google: idvd burn pal

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

PAL and NTSC are two incompatible video standards but many DVD players in Europe will play both PAL and NTSC DVDs. You can ask your relatives if their DVD player supports both formats 'cause if it does you'll task will be much easier. :)

Lethal

4. AVR2 macrumors 6502

FWIW, *all* European DVD players will handle both PAL and NTSC. It's a requirement of the Region 2 spec, since for some strange reason, Japan (NTSC) is part of Region 2.

5. cube macrumors G5

The TV would also have to support NTSC if the player does not convert.

6. AVR2 macrumors 6502

The majority of European TVs handle both PAL and NTSC natively, with no conversion needed.