iDVD - Runs like a dog

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by toolbox, Jun 20, 2009.

1. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Hi All i have ilife 09, i am trying to use iDVD but the thing is so laggy on my mac.

All the updates have been done for the software - i don't have any other apps open whilst this is running with the exception of itunes. Every time i go to click on something it wants to sit there with the spinning wheel for 5 seconds before it does anything.

The system was erased yesterday due to other problems that were unrelated to this. I have confirmed my Hard disk is OK same with ram. Disk permissions have been verified as OK.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? i don't know if this is a 09 problem i never used idvd 08

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I've found iDVD to be pretty laggy the majority of the time to be honest...

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

iDVD has always been slow for me, interface-wise. But the results make it worth putting up with the slow performance. Encoding it does just fine. Using professional quality encoding setting just looks incredible as far as I'm concerned.

4. challiman macrumors member

I have not used iDVD, in fact I'm not even sure what to do with it! I have a brand new MacBook Pro, which replaced a month old MB. If I wanted to burn a cd of say, photos in iPhoto, would I go through iDVD or iPhoto first?
    Sorry, I'm new to Mac and rather confused by some of the workings.
    Thanks.

5. toolbox thread starter macrumors 68020

toolbox

I believe half the problem is because it wants to encode the video as you add them to the dvd. Is there anyway of turning this off?

Like so it encodes everything when it goes to burn the disk?

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

If you wanted to burn a data CD with the photo files on it, like to share the files with your family, the use iPhoto, go to Share->Burn.

If you want to make a slideshow that people would watch in a set-top DVD player, you'd use iDVD. Share->Send to iDVD.

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I believe setting to either High Quality or Professional Quality turns off background encoding.

8. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

The interface worked kind of ok for me, but man iDVD 08 has by far the slowest DVD encoding I've ever seen. Over 2 hours for a 60 minute quictime file. Toast seems much faster, even with the quality maxed out. I'm running on a 2.8 ghz imac with a FW 800 drive.

My old crummy Pentium 4 XP box running pinnacle studio did it in about half the time....