iDVD use AVI for DVDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AsianChexMix, May 15, 2011.

1. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

I did a search and I wasn't sure if iDVD has allowed this option since some more current threads have shown that it may (although crap quality). I am using iDVD 7.1.1 and have .avi files I wanted to put onto a DVD that can be played as a DVD. Would iDVD work by going into File > OneStep DVD from Movie > .avi file? If not, what is the FREE way of solving this? Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Install the Perian QuickTime codec suite.

3. simsaladimbamba

Burn

Or you could use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the .avi files to a format and codec iDVD accepts, like .mov (QuickTime) using Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) as video codec and Uncompressed as audio codec.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The loss of time and quality required to transcode is unnecessary if you use a codec that is compatible with your video. iDVD handles .avi just fine if you have Perian installed.

5. simsaladimbamba

I agree, I just gave the option, as the .avi file might not use a codec Perian supports (I have come upon these), but MPEG Streamclip could handle them somehow.

6. AsianChexMix thread starter macrumors regular