iDVD Widescreen and Standard Options/Bonus Content

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Råy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Råy Guest

Hello, I would just like to say this is probably one of the most informative site out there.

I have a video that I want to burn to DVD in avi format. Currently it is in iDVD and it is being Encoded (and has been taking about 2 hours to do so). What I want to be the main video is at the beginning and there is about a 2 second pause and then I have bonus content. The thing is I want it to not show in the original video, in order to see the bonus content, one would have to go through another menu (named Bonus Content). Is there a way to do this without cutting up the avi file?

Also is there a way that I can make there be an option for widescreen and standard screen on the same dvd?
    Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You need to be clearer about what you are trying to do:
    • Are you trying to burn .avi content onto a DVD?
    • Are you trying to burn content onto a DVD in .avi format?
    • Do you want to play your content on a standard DVD player?
    Understand that iDVD is limited to DVDs of two-hours duration.

As for the screen format, virtually every commercial DVD contains a mixture of content in 4:3 and widescreen format. During playback screen format is a user-selectable option.

3. Råy Guest

I am trying to burn an .avi file onto a DVD. I am trying to burn it in .avi format, but I don't care if I need to convert to a format such as mpg.
    Yes, I would like to burn it so that I can view it on a standard DVD player.
    The two hours is everything or just the main movie? Because I have approximately 2:06:00 of content.
    Thanks

EDIT: The original avi file is only 2.16GB, so why is it encoding it to more than triple the original file size?

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I don't think you can burn more than 2 hours TOTAL on a standard DVD. That means that the main movie, bonus, added up cannot exceed 2 hours. However, I think you can toggle quality settings to squeeze out a bit more time (lower quality = room for more)

And you can make it so bonus content can be view through a separate menu. I would type out all the steps but if you just look up iDVD Tutorials on the web or YouTube you'll see a lot better directions.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have mutually exclusive requirements. Standard media DVDs are recorded in MPEG2 format—period. This is the format that standard DVD players expect. DivX-compatible DVDs are with made with DivX-encoded video recorded as data. Many popular .avi files are DivX-encoded.

You should acquire a copy of Roxio Toast® and learn how to use it.