iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mugs, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

Hey guys, is there a way to make iDVD save the project im doing to an external hard drive because whenever I try and burn my project which is on the other hard drive it says there is insufficient space. The external has like 20 gigs free but internal only has 2! So any help would be appreciated! Thanks

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You are going to have to clear up space on your startup drive- not only to allow the burn to happen but for the safety of your startup drive-- no matter what size your internal is, 2Gb free is well below the safety margin (generally considered to be 10-20% of the drive size.)

Anyway, when iDVD is rendering files for the disk burn it will create temporary files in the process- and as far as I know there is no way to redirect it to create the temporary files on anything but the startup drive. Look at moving some files from the internal to an external, trashing unneeded files, etc. to free up space.

Several programs are out there to help you "see" how the space on your drive is being used and to help you identify the big files- perhaps one of them would be of help too. Disk Inventory X ( http://www.derlien.com/ ) and Grand Perspective ( http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/ ) are a couple of free utilities that might be helpful.

3. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot. Thats really helpful! Yer its a 30gb hard drive so I need to clear a bit off but there isnt much I can. But thanks a lot for your help!

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No problem-- and good luck with your production!

5. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular