idvd5 and external dvd drive

belf8st

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Odd, after upgrading to ilife 05 I can now burn my imovies using idvd to my external firewire dvd writer. the fact that i don't have the apple superdrive is no longer an issue. i didn't see these on any of apple's release notes for ilife 05. did i miss something?

I could previously do this in ilife 04 with the "idvd" hack, but it seems that it is not necessary any more.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Kind of late to this thread... but I just picked up an older model PB G4 with no superdrive. Does this mean that having iDVD 5 allows me to write to an external DVD drive without Toast? I'm not familiar with iDVD. Can I use it to make data backups too (non-video content)? Thanks.

jkandell

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2005
Tucson AZ
belf8st said:
Odd, after upgrading to ilife 05 I can now burn my imovies using idvd to my external firewire dvd writer. the fact that i don't have the apple superdrive is no longer an issue. i didn't see these on any of apple's release notes for ilife 05. did i miss something?

I could previously do this in ilife 04 with the "idvd" hack, but it seems that it is not necessary any more.
In the "iDVD missing manual" book they mention that you can now use external in 05.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
ozone
Kind of late to this thread... but I just picked up an older model PB G4 with no superdrive. Does this mean that having iDVD 5 allows me to write to an external DVD drive without Toast? I'm not familiar with iDVD. Can I use it to make data backups too (non-video content)? Thanks.
Yes you can back stuff up but use Toast for that, if you mean your files, music and apps. As for the iDVD 5 and an exterenal drive, I use it on my eMac and it burns whatever I want as far as video/photos/slideshows are concerned.