IE 9 on Mac...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SRLMJ23, Jan 6, 2012.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Anyone wish Microsoft would develop a version of Internet Explorer 9 for Mac?? IE 9 is amazing on Windows (I use it as my main browser on my Windows PC). I know I'll get a lot of haters for this post but I hope I can get some mature answers.

2. finkmacunix macrumors regular

3. lippyt macrumors member

Well more diversity of choice is never a bad thing. Though I believe that there is little strategic need of Microsoft to push IE to the Mac crowd.

4. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I stopped using IE a long time ago. But out of curiosity, what has made you stay with it?

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The last version of IE that worked on OSX was quite possibly the worst browser ever written and I don't see Microsoft bringing IE 9 (or any other version) to OS X as they abandoned IE on OS X once Apple brought Safari out.

Personally, I much prefer Chrome to IE 9 on Windows

6. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I don't want to install Windows on my Mac, I have a Windows laptop and desktop as it is, my question was just asking if people here would like to see Internet Explorer 9 come to the Mac. I think Microsoft would benefit if they did it right, meaning developing it with the same thought and craftsmanship as they did on Windows.

IE 9 is currently dominating on Windows, I don't have the exact numbers but it's boosted IE's install base significantly.

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I loved Internet Explorer 5 for mac, and used it for years, even a bit after Safari came out. I gave it a try again the other day just to reminise, but it was completely unfunctional and wouldnt load a single website.

I would love to see Netscape return. I loved Communicator 4.71 as well, before all that Netscape 6 ishh happened. Too bad AOL bought it, ruined the last few versions, then killed it.

9. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I'm not sure this is true. According to http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...lorer-drops-below-50-percent-of-web-usage.ars IE is barely over 50% of desktop browser usage nowadays,a dn is under 50% overall across all market segments. In reality, its market share continues to slide over time.

COmpetition is good, but I doubt microsoft will bring IE to mac again. There is enough competition in the space and I'm not sure it would boost their numbers enough to make it worthwhile.

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, what's the business case for it? It's free. So they have to monetize it somehow. 10 years ago they could do that by preventing the development of online applications that would compete with Office (that is, if you used Explorer they could control how it worked with online apps), which helped the business. Now they have to make the money through search, which means Bing. But to promote Bing it would be less expensive for them to cut a deal with Apple or Firefox to make Bing the default search engine. Too bad Google beat them to that.

11. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Some sites require IE. For example, zone.msn.com You can only play online games there if you're using IE. It's the only reason I put boot camp and Win 7 on my MBA.

I prefer Chrome and Firefox but I have to say that IE has come a long way. IE9 is an excellent browser and I could easily live with it if necessary.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't see IE 9 ever coming to Mac, nor would i want it. there is quite enough competition in the browser market that there is just no need for yet another option.

13. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

No, I wouldn't want it on my Mac.

Maybe I'm just biassed or imagining things, but there's a certain fluidity about Safari that IE doesn't have. Sometimes I'll have to get on a Windows PC and use it and it's not my favorite experience.

With that said, I happen to like flat soda. So to each their own. :)

14. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I just wanted to throw the idea out there, I mean on a computer that runs Windows 7 well and isn't all bloated up with non-sense software and is malware free IE 9 is AMAZINGLY fast, if you have access to a Windows computer as described go to the test drive site Microsoft has and test it against other browsers, it competes amazingly well.

15. astrorider macrumors 6502

Just load one of the few virtualization programs on the Mac and run it from there. Not sure if you're familiar with them, but as an example in VMWare Fusion you can launch IE 9 from your OS X dock and it'll open in it's own window, without the Windows desktop...keyboard shortcuts like copy/paste work between Mac/PC apps, so it feels fairly close to running a native mac app.

16. jablko macrumors member

VirtualBox is a free virtualization program, like Parallels and Fusion, and it does a great job of virtualizing Windows. And just like in Parallels and Fusion, you can have programs run seamlessly as if they were programs on your Mac desktop. That's how I run IE9, but only when I really have to check how it's chosen to render HTML wrong.

IE9 is a huge improvement over previous versions, but it's still the worst of the major browser options out there, and I'm frankly happy at the steady decline of the IE user base.

I'm surprised by the people who have fond memories of IE5 on a Mac. My recollections was that it was the buggiest rendering engine in history ...

17. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

You can run IE through Wineskin as well, packaging it as a mac app. Heard it works like a charm (didn't try it myself), and doesn't require to boot up windows through bootcamp or a virtual machine.

18. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Why would we want the least standard's compliant browser on the Mac ? Going backwards on standards implementation seems retarded to me. It's Chrome for me right now.

19. jablko macrumors member

Stingray454: Have you got IE9 running in Wine? The most recent version I've gotten to work was IE6. I've heard of people getting IE7 and IE8 to partially work, but not IE9. I'd love to know how if it's possible.