IE Messing up my Navigation

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by John J Rambo, Mar 7, 2011.

1. John J Rambo macrumors member

Hi, can anyone help me, I've tested a small site in every other browser and it looks fine but IE is shifting my vertical nav bar way off to the right!?? Im scripting it on a mac so I have to keep moving to pc to see how it looks but I cant seem to fix it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. phantax macrumors member

Would be much easier to give you advice if we could see the site in question, it could be any number of things.

Also, what version of IE are you testing with? They all have their own quirks.

3. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

Hi, yeah sorry!

Im using a holding page its here http://212.78.231.93/~adfybba/

I've only really started it so there are loads of other "wee" issues but the main one is the top and side bar navigation, its ie7.

Everything so far seems to be working in every other browser I have tested.

thanks

4. phantax macrumors member

Can you also post a screenshot of what is happening in IE7, I don't have it installed here.

5. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

thanks, I have attached a screen shot

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      123.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Browsers are evil. More time can be spent "fixing" inconsistencies than actually designing the page. I normally use FireBug to step through page blocks and examine CSS. I've seen IE choke on something as simple as a missed semicolon.

A guess right off the top is that it might be something with the box model. IE tends to interpret things a little differently so check your margins and padding closely. If that fails you might want to start with a blank page and add in components until the page breaks.

By the way: It displays OK in IE8.

7. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Laird Knox,

I've fixed the main navigation bar now and for the life of me I dont know how I did it. Think you were right about the box model.

I'll check out FireBug! Thanks again