Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
More in relation to Windows here, I'm doing a simple HTML page for a mailout, and IE 7.0 smooths the text (as opposed to the other browsers on windows, where the text remains 'jagged' like), therefore misaligning it and going all over the place.

Was wondering if there's a way in which IE can read a different CSS document, so that the text doesn't go all over the *place?

(*not all over the place, just slightly out of line)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
More in relation to Windows here, I'm doing a simple HTML page for a mailout, and IE 7.0 smooths the text (as opposed to the other browsers on windows, where the text remains 'jagged' like), therefore misaligning it and going all over the place.

Was wondering if there's a way in which IE can read a different CSS document, so that the text doesn't go all over the *place?

(*not all over the place, just slightly out of line)

you can always use the * hacks.

anywhere in a style you want only IE to read put an * in front of it.

Example:

html{width:100%}
*html{width:100px} only ie would read this and ignore the one above it

.style{font-family: Arial; *font-weight: bold} only in IE will the font be bold

rajfantastic

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
i always attach a separate style sheet for IE like this:

Code:
<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<link href="css/layout-ie6.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<![endif]-->

<!--[if IE 7]>
<link href="css/layout-ie7.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<![endif]-->

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
No, IE is bad for having to use hacks. :rolleyes:

If you use the proper DOCTYPE, IE should render the box model correctly. I've never had to use an IE hack. Semantically it's bad.

The best designers avoid such problems (and there are strategies to do so) and then use conditionals, which I've used to overcome things like the lack of transparent PNG support in IE6.

In my opinion, hacks and mediocrity go hand in hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.