IE6 sucks, but I need a bit of help with it

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jun 15, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So, I'm at work, and have IE6 installed on my computer. And, I don't have any other choice but to use IE6 :(

It seems like IE refuses to connect to anything using SSL. It just immediately pops up a lovely "Page can't be displayed" error. It happens with any SSL site I go to. It's not the company's firewall blocking it either because it works fine from other computers on the network (and some of our corporate sites are SSL too so they definitely wouldn't block that). I checked my settings, and I have all forms of encryption enabled, and I'm stumped. Anyone know what to do? Bothering the guys at the helpdesk is a last resort, because I've worked helpdesk too at another job and hate it when people call me I have to troubleshoot something that shouldn't be broken at all but is due to Microsoft's incompetence :D

2. pengu macrumors 6502a

um. if it works on other computers it sounds to me that something IS broken.

they are service desk. they are PAID to provide SUPPORT.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I know, I just can't be arsed with calling :p

And besides, Eclipse is in the middle of a build right now and has like 4,000 source files to go so I can't talk to them right now anyways in case they want me to reboot or something, so I was hoping maybe there was like a quick fix or something ;)

4. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Open up tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced tab and find and turn off friendly http error message.

Then copy the error here.

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

i did that but still get the same "page can't be displayed" error :\

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Well, a reboot seems to have fixed it. Windows....:rolleyes:

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'm sure I've probably asked you this before, but where do you work in STL? If you'd rather PM me (or not tell me), that's cool - just curious.