ie6 transparent css backgrounds

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by John J Rambo, Jul 5, 2010.

1. John J Rambo macrumors member

Hi guys, ive tried a few fixes for this I've found online but none seem to work, my css looks like this

#banner{
    height: 224px;
    width: 856px;
    background-image:url(../images/banner_transparent_2.png);
    background-repeat:no-repeat;
    text-align:left;
    }

I have 2 divs overlapping and I need them both to have transparencies in ie6.
    Any ideas? thanks

2. SailorTom macrumors regular

try googling ie6 png fix, not sure if it works for css backgrounds though

3. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

yep just what I thought... people should just stop using ie6. thanks

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Usually the ie6 png fix doesn't work for background images... your best option is just to not support IE6 like many companies have done, including Google. In order to kill it we must stop catering to it. Just my opinion.

5. 124151155 macrumors regular

I've tried many and not had much luck with my background images.
    The best result was where one would result in the images disappearing in IE6 if they are background, and display correctly for ones in the HTML, but I do agree with the others about not supporting IE. I only supported it in a website I recently made because a large percentage of their audience were people over 50, many of whom would not know any better than to use IE6.

Have a look at this site I made in IE6 - the shadows on the sides should be gone, but the floorplans should be OK.

To justify the support for IE, I have linked to A better browser dot org in a few places, I recommend you do the same.

Tim