IE8 Download Page Goes Live - New Features Revealed

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by ~David, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ~David macrumors regular

~David

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

Great, clicking on Release Notes on IE 8 brings me to a "Article is currently not available" link. The only thing I really want to see is that they support web standards better, or at least pass the freakin Acid2 test.

3. ~David thread starter macrumors regular

~David

None of the links are live yet, they'll all be live after the MIX08 conference at 9:30AM PST :)

Also, IE8 passes the Acid 2 test with flying colors: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/12/19/internet-explorer-8-and-acid2-a-milestone.aspx

4. jSunbeam macrumors regular

I dream of the day when I don't have to spend half of my time supporting IE's stupid quirks. However, as much as this is good news, I can see it being a good few years before IE6 (and even IE7, which still has quite a few dodgy elements) is 'gone'.

5. ~David thread starter macrumors regular

~David

Luckily my blog has absolutely no problems with IE7. IE6, however, is a different story... I gave up in trying to make it compliant. I'm super excited about IE8 though :D

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It EDIT:still fails Acid2, but there is now Acid3 to pass. I've tested them all (well the top 4 browsers) and I'll be curious to see how IE 8 performs. Hopefully it wont overwrite IE 7 so I can test it out sooner rather than later.

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Just remember that those quirks keep you in a job. If any old person off the street could write a website that would work perfectly on every browser then why would they need to pay you so much money.

I know you can argue that you make really complex and feature rich websites, but you still get to charge more than someone who can make complex and feature rich websites that can't get them to work on other browsers. :)

They aren't bugs, they are well designed money making "features" :)

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There's still skill and money in making websites, just like there is in making offline software.

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Hence the second line in my post that you didn't quote :) I covered all bases!

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Seems like some nice but small improvements. It's good to see that Microsoft has gone back to actually trying to make IE a better product. The Activities implementation seems nice -- I would like to see more functionality like that in time in Firefox as well.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

12. angelneo macrumors 68000

Good to know that, hopefully, this will be a good product upgrade. Now the problem would be getting people to start using IE 8.....

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's broken all 4 of my sites. Three have rendering issues and the fourth is actually non-functional now.

The meta tag for IE 7 compatibility mode doesn't seem to work as the same rendering issues still exist after adding it.

It looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me!

14. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

o wow...can i possibly hide my current exietment???? i think not.
    Internet Explorer will always suck.:rolleyes:

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

"Download the latest beta version of the world's most popular Web browser."

Its not popular because people like it... its popular because people don't know alternatives :(

16. ~David thread starter macrumors regular

~David

Don't fix your sites yet. Beta 1 still has some serious rendering issues that will be fixed in later builds, meaning you'll need to fix your sites again. Wait until the final release or at least until the Release Candidates start coming out before you start any work (if still necessary by then).

About the tag, are you sure you've input it correctly? It works for me, this is the meta tag:
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />
    And it needs to go in the Head of your code.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Damn I missed that.

I've installed IE 8, and it does better, it gets 17/100 now. And I've updated the renderings. However in comparison the latest Webkit gets 89/100, so MS have a way to go yet.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Rather than believing the MS Employee saying that IE 8 passes Acid2, I've just tested it myself. *Shockingly* it doesn't actually pass :rolleyes:.

I am running Vista, with totally default settings and the latest security updates.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

mmmm.... really? I thought about downloading it last night, but eventually didn't.. let me try this out tonite.. I am kinda surprised they would cheat on such a public claim.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well it doesn't on Vista on my Macbook, you can see the screenshot on my website.

I have to admit I'm kinda surprised too.

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It worked fine on ACid2 on XP SP2.

It got 7086.6ms on the Sunspider test which puts it about 2x slower than the latest webkit nightly.

RAM usage wise on the page I use for testing it failed to show all the pictures and used 188MB of ram so high ram usage for little results. Out of all the browsers I tested recently this performed the worse in regards to displaying the pictures on the page.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So even Microsoft aren't using Vista :rolleyes:.

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I just looked at your site with the picture of the Acid2 test on IE8. On XP it looked like that but only for about a second and then snapped to what it should actually look like.

24. ~David thread starter macrumors regular

~David

Anybody saying that it doesn't pass Acid2, you have to run it from the official webstandards.org website, not the acidtests.org web site.

Full explanation as to why here: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/03/05/why-isn-t-ie8-passing-acid2.aspx

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I tried it on a different site and it worked. There must be some issue with the site I was trying it on yesterday.

The problematic site is actually getting a complete overhaul later this year so it's a bit of a moot point anyway :)