iExplorer not working on iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by burnside, Sep 29, 2012.

1. burnside macrumors 6502

I used iExplorer before on my iPhone 4 to replace sound files in apps. Now with my iPhone 5, the same process doesn't work. Has anyone been able to replace files on their iPhone 5 without jailbreaking?

2. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

I'm sure the developer will update his application in time to work with iOS 6, he's put in too much time into it not to. Just got to have patience.

In the meantime you can always use your Atomic Browser + Dropbox as a file system.

3. burnside thread starter macrumors 6502

How would Atomic Browser + Dropbox be used to access an app's file structure? For instance, I'd like to get into the Boxcar app and replace their sound files with mine. I used to be able to do this with iExplorer 2.2.

4. adster macrumors regular

iExplorer was recently updated to 3.0 and is now paid (albeit is *really* nice). Version 3.0 supports iOS6 and the iPhone 5.

Sorry :-/

5. burnside thread starter macrumors 6502

hehe, figures. I just need one file changed though. Not worth $35 in my case. :(

6. FlunkedFlank macrumors member

The new for-pay version offers all the same functionality as the old one even if you don't pay. In other words you only have to pay if you want the new features. See:

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/upgrading-to-iexplorer.php

It's been working fine on my iPhone 5, though I haven't used every single feature in it.

7. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

the new feature he wants is iOS 6 support, which apparently the older (free) versions don't offer. so technically, yes he has to pay.

8. burnside thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if I pay, I still do not know if iExplorer could get around the new permission restrictions set on iOS 6 apps. I was able to download a full copy of DiskAid which has iOS 6 / iPhone 5 support and still could not move a sound file into an app.

Seems like Apple has really locked apps down this time.

9. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

10. burnside thread starter macrumors 6502

I already tried it and could not replace app sound files. :(

11. Claefer macrumors regular

Claefer

I noticed this too so I e-mailed the developers and a representative wrote back saying iOS 6 no longer allows read/write access to apps. He said he was optimistic that a future update will have a solution.

12. CJK macrumors member

well, $!*@

Yet another craptastic feature of iOS 6 ...

13. rmd6502 macrumors newbie

same here

This isn't Macroplant's fault, certainly - I just with they had mentioned it before I gave them $35. They have "works with ios 6" prominently featured.

Overall, I'm getting tired of Apple's need to control every last thing.

14. burnside thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed. Macroplant needs to post the limitations of their software. I would contact them and ask about a partial refund.