iExplorer not working on iPhone 5?

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I used iExplorer before on my iPhone 4 to replace sound files in apps. Now with my iPhone 5, the same process doesn't work. Has anyone been able to replace files on their iPhone 5 without jailbreaking?

NoOneHitsHarder

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Middle of nowhere
I'm sure the developer will update his application in time to work with iOS 6, he's put in too much time into it not to. Just got to have patience.

In the meantime you can always use your Atomic Browser + Dropbox as a file system.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I'm sure the developer will update his application in time to work with iOS 6, he's put in too much time into it not to. Just got to have patience.

In the meantime you can always use your Atomic Browser + Dropbox as a file system.
How would Atomic Browser + Dropbox be used to access an app's file structure? For instance, I'd like to get into the Boxcar app and replace their sound files with mine. I used to be able to do this with iExplorer 2.2.

adster

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
iExplorer was recently updated to 3.0 and is now paid (albeit is *really* nice). Version 3.0 supports iOS6 and the iPhone 5.

Sorry :-/

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
iExplorer was recently updated to 3.0 and is now paid (albeit is *really* nice). Version 3.0 supports iOS6 and the iPhone 5.

Sorry :-/
hehe, figures. I just need one file changed though. Not worth $35 in my case. :(

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
The new for-pay version offers all the same functionality as the old one even if you don't pay. In other words you only have to pay if you want the new features.
the new feature he wants is iOS 6 support, which apparently the older (free) versions don't offer. so technically, yes he has to pay.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
The new for-pay version offers all the same functionality as the old one even if you don't pay. In other words you only have to pay if you want the new features. See:

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/upgrading-to-iexplorer.php

It's been working fine on my iPhone 5, though I haven't used every single feature in it.
Even if I pay, I still do not know if iExplorer could get around the new permission restrictions set on iOS 6 apps. I was able to download a full copy of DiskAid which has iOS 6 / iPhone 5 support and still could not move a sound file into an app.

Seems like Apple has really locked apps down this time.

Claefer

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
I used iExplorer before on my iPhone 4 to replace sound files in apps. Now with my iPhone 5, the same process doesn't work. Has anyone been able to replace files on their iPhone 5 without jailbreaking?
I noticed this too so I e-mailed the developers and a representative wrote back saying iOS 6 no longer allows read/write access to apps. He said he was optimistic that a future update will have a solution.

rmd6502

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
same here

This isn't Macroplant's fault, certainly - I just with they had mentioned it before I gave them $35. They have "works with ios 6" prominently featured.

Overall, I'm getting tired of Apple's need to control every last thing.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
This isn't Macroplant's fault, certainly - I just with they had mentioned it before I gave them $35. They have "works with ios 6" prominently featured.

Overall, I'm getting tired of Apple's need to control every last thing.
Agreed. Macroplant needs to post the limitations of their software. I would contact them and ask about a partial refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.