If 2016 13" MBA gets retina...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nutmac, Oct 19, 2016.

1. nutmac macrumors 68040

If 13" MBA is indeed kept alive (many signs point to 11" MBA getting the axe) and gets retina screen option, should Apple bother making 13" rMBP?

Although I much prefer overall aesthetics of 13" MBP, 13" MBA is slimmer, lighter, cheaper, and has longer battery life.

Given historically slim performance advantage (10-15%) and addition of just 2 ports (HDMI and second TB port), I am not sure if OLED and 3D Touch are enough to justify keeping 13" in MBP's line up.

I strongly suspect 13" MBA will stay non-retina to keep it cheap, but what if?

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

Why does the MBA still exist? It seems it is close to the MacBook. Maybe the Macbook plus?

3. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

In my perfect world, they would drop the "Air" from the name and just make it a 13.3" MacBook that sells alongside the 12" MacBook.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The lineup does seem rather confused right now and would be more so with a retina screen on the air. It's hard to see why anyone would buy a MacBook if the Air had a comparable screen. You be giving up dollars, ports, and performance for what, a few ounces and a fanless design?

What might make sense is to give the screen a decent update from the low res 2010 TN panel they've got now (IPS 1080?) but leave it a notable step below the retina on the MacBook and keep selling the air as the "budget" model.

If they're gonna give it a retina screen then just merge the lines, IMO.

5. asoksevil macrumors 6502

No way they are making the Air Retina, they will drop the 11" Air and make people choose between the MBA 13" (entry level), rMB 12" (portability), rMBP 13" (performance)