if 27" is updated, will you even be able to TELL?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidnssbm, May 28, 2010.

1. davidnssbm macrumors regular

In Sept 09 the screen blew us away. It's not like they are going to make a new screen (aside from fixing the issues) right?

So what will be updated? A graphics card? How much better can they be? My question is, is it even worth waiting for the update if you really want and need one NOW? Would you be able to blind test an 09 and 10?

Even if it IS announced at WWDC '10, it probably won't come out until the fall, right?

If anything, it's just going to be more expensive... right? Is the only thing keeping those of us from purchasing the need to have the latest and greatest?

Part of me thinks its this, but the other party REALLY doesn't want to buy an 09 with all the faults and have to return it 5 times... but will they even fix these errors in the '10?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Historically the prices don't go up or down with a refresh - they usually upgrade the processor or ram or HD size and stay at same price.

3. foshizzle macrumors regular

Everything has been fixed. Go ahead and pick one up. They won't be upgraded any time soon, especially not at WWDC.

I don't agree with your statement that, if anything, they'd be more expensive. This is usually not a trend apple takes. Most Apple hardware updates either give you way more for the same amount or way more and drop the price as compared to the previous generation.

No reason to wait for '10 generation. Get one now, be productive with it, and when they come out with a new one realize how much work you've accomplished in the time that it took them to update it.

4. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Speaking as someone who owns a 27" imac go out and get one its not worth it to wait.

The next imac probably won't be to different. Just the usual upgrades under the hood and possibly a blu-ray drive.

5. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah I agree, if you are happy with the spec and everything now (and lets face it, it would be hard not to be), its definitely worth getting one as soon as possible and enjoying using it sooner. [​IMG]

6. DaSal macrumors regular

WWDC is less than two weeks away, I'd wait just to be safe. They will probably update it, WWDC usually has a bunch of updates and the iMac is about due for one. Just check the buyers guide.

7. Btom macrumors 6502a

8. thereur macrumors member

:confused: Are you by any chance the Apple Store rep I talked to 2 weeks ago when I order my FIRST iMac?

9. akm3 macrumors 68020

Pretty sure I'd be able to tell (and would be both happy and pissed) if they added an eSata port or an accessible 2.5" drive bay to easily add an SSD or something.

10. cube macrumors G5

They still have to add 3D and multitouch, too.

11. Omnigray macrumors newbie

Omnigray

I'd probably break my own index finger for clicking "place order" on the current model if the new imacs came with solid state.

12. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

They need a Matte screen option; be gone with you glossy displays.

13. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Don't forget, you only hear of the horror stories in forums like this and never the many many who have had zero issues. Chances are you will purchase a perfectly working machine.

Also, Apple would never announce an update and release it a couple months later like they did with the ipad and first iphone for the simple fact that it would discourage consumers from purchasing current models. If it was announced it would be avilable to purchase (at least through Apple) immediately.

14. Ravich macrumors 6502a

What are the chances of USB3 being on the new iMacs?

15. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Somewhere between slim and none.

16. johnhw macrumors 6502

2011 or later - no intel chipsets for apple computers yet

17. Ravich macrumors 6502a

18. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

COME ON APPLE. I would give you so much money if you just released an imac with USB 3.0 and (and true video inputs) (and Bluray) Why is it so hard to just give us the features we want!! Uhhg!!

19. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

And the obligatory olfactory output would be nice.

20. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

No intel chipset yet; that makes it just a *little* hard. What would you even use USB3 for right now? There's only a handful of external HDDs that use it. You'll also never see bluray either.

21. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

they should be able to add an 2.5" SSD in addition to the existing 3.5" disk...but that is probably only us geeks that wants it at this point in time.

today it is memory and especially hard drive that is the bottle neck in the system. not that much the cpu.

22. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Are you NUTS?

Fixed? Where do you get this information?

There are still many reports of people getting yellow tinted screens. Ive seen them myself.

Do yourself a favor and WAIT until the next refresh, at a minimum. This current batch of iMacs is plagued with problems.

23. rayward macrumors 68000

Is there a serious chance that iMacs will finally get Blu Ray support?

I have an external BD for ripping Blu Ray discs, and I've been eyeing a new iMac for some time as my current model takes 5 -8 hours to encode one movie. If they add a BD to the iMac, I'd be able to rip two at a time, and vastly speed up the encoding process. That would be an instant purchase for me!

24. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

No chance at all.

25. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Maybe Apple could add a '10:
    * USB 3 (or some other external drive interface faster than FW800)
    * Options for SSD drive - this is probably the biggest limitation on current iMac performance.
    * Upgraded Graphics card -- only makes a significant difference for gaming (and if you're serious about gaming, you don't want any kind of mac, much less an iMac)
    * processor speed bumps (probably not noticable in a blind test)
    * blu-ray (ha - but you never know)
    * Improved upgradibility (in a small way, e.g., maybe just the hard drive)
    * tv tuner option (OK, I know that's not going to happen)

And they do occasionally do something off-the-wall -- some kind of never-knew-you-needed-it-until-they-released-it feature...

Like...
    * touch interface
    * built-in ipad dock
    * web cam behind the screen so you can look directly at the person you are iChatting with
    * ? I'm sure Apple has a lot better ideas than this :)