If 2nd DVD in Mac Pro, each can be a different region?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Mar 21, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If I put a 2nd DVD inside my Mac Pro, can it be set to a different region than the first?

Any recommendations on an internal drive that won't change the look on the outside, will perform decently, and not cost a bomb?

2. rumbletum macrumors regular

Yes it can be done, no hassle at all and have done it myself. I used a Sony drive in mine, only takes a couple of minutes.

3. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Great question!

I have movies from all over the world where I have lived and never thought of this.

In fact, I really was not sure what I would use two drives for in a Mac Pro until now.

Thanks!

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Is there a way to just make the drive region free? Firmware hack?

5. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Yes there is.

I know this is true as I have researched this before.

If you Google the question, you should find an answer (sorry, I am lazy today and don't feel like doing it for you).

However, I never did the hack because of the risk of losing the DVD player altogether.

6. big dainjerus macrumors regular

what is this different region you speak of and what do you mean?

7. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

not to get off the original topic, but if you do a reinstall of your operating system does it reset the Region settings or is it pre-built to the Optical Drive itself?

thanks!
    :)

8. big dainjerus macrumors regular

soooo, you mean to get off the original topic? :D

just playin with ya, I'm bored waiting to get some balls and order this puppy

9. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

While the video files are the same, DVDs produced for the American, European and Asian markets each have regional codes on them which make them playable only on players that were produced for the corresponding region (or on players that are region-free).

Macs are really sticky about adhering to these standards and they make getting around these somewhat hard. You can change a drive's region under OS X a total of 5 times. By having two DVD drives in my Mac Pro, it seems that I can dedicate one to Region 1 (North America, others?) and one to Region 2 (Europe).

10. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

I think its purely a software thing and you could play any region with something like VLC.

In windows, it's software- in WMP, it's only one region, but get a third party app and you can play any region dvd.

11. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

My issue is with moving my collection to my hard drive with MTR. I can work around the region screen, but it would be nice to just have an appropriate drive for each region that I have in my collection.

12. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Hi Netdog. Did you have any luck with this? I want to get the MacPro with two superdrives and do exactly what you're saying. I thought it would be physical drive specific, but would like to know what you discovered.

I'd like to hold off for Blue ray drives and will want to do the same thing. While the Blue ray will be fine for my region (only 2 instead of God knows how many), but my old DVD's are region one and I live in region 3...

13. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Yes, it works like a charm. I picked up a regular DVD writer as they were so cheap and will just replace it when cheap BR drives become available.

14. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Thanks netdog! Do you think it would be the same if you bought a new MacPro with two preinstalled superdrives? Cheers!

15. rumbletum macrumors regular

I think so, as the drives aren't set to a specific region until you attempt to play a DVD in them

16. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

And even if they are pre-set to your local Region, most drives allow you to make up to five changes before the final change becomes permanent.

17. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

The region code is stored in the firmware of the DVD-drive, you set your region code when you play a DVD for the first time (OS X informs you btw) and you are allowed to change it a couple of times until the drive plays only DVDs with the region code of your last disc you played.
    For Mac Pros with an Optiarc drive there is a firmware flash available to convert the drive to a code-free one which also unlocks some slightly higher burn speeds...

you find the needed infos here:
    http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2008-03-26/#16061

18. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, although for the macbidouille one I'd have to learn French!:eek::)

It sounds as though if the drives are independent from each other, the software reading the material shoudln't care what region it is, provided the drive is the same region as the disc. I'll try and confirm at a Mac Show room.

19. krye macrumors 68000

krye

My thing is I am in the US. I have relatives in the UK and Australia. So Region 1 is no good to them. I'd like a region free solution since a 2 drive solution would still leave me 1 region short.

We're talking about sending over home movies of the kids. Do you think I would be able to rip my movie with something like MactheRipper and set the copy to be region free? Would that work? I don't want to install multiple drives in the event I make a home movie for the folks abroad.

20. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Your own videos should be region free. It is copyrighted material that is locked by region.

You may experience issues with different video standards (PAL/NTSC) but HD will soon take care of that problem.

21. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

No Problem, MacBidouille has a parallel edition of the page in english called HardMac.

Here's the english link:
    http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2008-3-26

Happy flashing!

22. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Great, thanks. I didn't realize that.

23. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

24. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog