If 4.7" iPhone 6 never existed, would you upgrade to a 5.5" iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nlkccom, Sep 26, 2014.

?

If 4.7" iPhone 6 never existed, would you get a 5.5" iPhone 6?

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I guess this question really gears toward the current iPhone 6 (not 6+) users.

What if the only options for an iPhone 6 is with the 5.5" screen. Would you still get an iPhone 6?

2. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

No, I would have stuck with my 5s. I already own an iPad! :D

3. nouspa macrumors member

I bought inferior product :)

It is even smallest storage size and silver, i just want to give unwanted phone a good home :)

I voted NO.

4. TSKY74 macrumors regular

TSKY74

Yes. I do love the 4.7 size and it's a good size for a phone, I would have taken the 5.5 If 4.7 wasn't available.

5. Hal~9000, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Emphatic NO!

I plan on keeping my 5s for 4-5 years until it no longer works but if I had to use something else I'd simply go Android (2013 moto x or 2014 z3 compact) for a one handed device instead of trying to lug around a mini-tablet ala 6+.

6. jettrue macrumors regular

jettrue

No, being a petite female, my hands and pockets are too small. Would have stayed with android.

7. ccapman670 macrumors regular

Nope. I would have sold my 5 and bought a 64GB 5S and ran it until it broke and if Apple didn't come out with something smaller I would decide whether I should go to android or just give up having a cell phone all together.

8. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I've a terrible sense of déjà vu over this question :)

Absolutely not. Phones are simple communication devices, not mobile entertainment centres.

9. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

Probably not. Would've just stuck it out with my 5 for another year (which I might do anyway) to see if they released something smaller or if I could come to terms with such a big phone.

10. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

Yes, but I wouldn't have been thrilled about the size. The 4.7" fits my needs nicely.

11. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Then you need to get rid of your Smartphone and go with a dumbphone for calls and basic text.

A Smartphone is just that, Smart. It allows you to communicate in multiple ways. Text, iMessage, email, phone calls, video calls, internet forums such as these, facebook, twitter, snapchat, and all the other ways that you all use social media to "communicate".

Not to mention, some of us want to use it for additional features so that we do not need to carry around multiple devices to do different things.

I loved my iP5 while I had used it but definitely wanted something bigger since I was tired of looking at a small screen. Most of the time I would switch to my rMini to read emails, internet sites, Kindle books, watch movies or TV shows, etc...

Then I upgraded to the 6+. Now I use my 6+ more than I use my rMini. I still break out the rMini for things like watching TV shows and movies, but I am perfectly ok with reading kindle books, internet websites, emails, etc.... on my 6+, which I was not on iP5.

If I had decided to get the 6 instead, who's to know. Maybe I would have been happy with that too but then again.

Let me put it this way, the only thing I lost so far with going with the 6+ model vs the 6 is taking it with me when I run. That isn't to say I may not take it later on, just at the moment I still use my iP5 or my old 2GB iPod Nano. I do find the 6+ a bit large to take for a jog at the moment but it meets all my other needs.

Not dogging the 6 model though since when/if I upgrade my wife's phone, that will definitely be the model she will get. I can't see her using and carrying around a plus model. She is happy at the moment with her iP5 in her Otterbox case so when she is ready to upgrade, maybe during the 6S cycle, we will.

12. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I do all of those (with the exceptions of those I don't). Perhaps I should have said 'simply' rather than simple'.

13. bambooshots macrumors 65816

Probably. I was leaning towards the 4.7" 6 until I ran across a website that gave the sizes of the devices on a 1:1 scale.

I realized the 5s with life proof case I've been using for the better part of a year was pretty much the same size as the 4.7" 6. I decided then that the 4.7" screen wouldn't be THAT much of an upgrade, and went with the 6 Plus instead.

Early *rumors* of the Plus havijg 2GB of RAM also swayed me in that direction, along with all of the confirmed specs over the 6 during the keynote.

14. Ann P macrumors 68020

15. mantan macrumors 68000

I call BS. It's macrumors and an Apple product. People would claim it was flawless and superior to everything on the market. The perfect sized phone.

16. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I probably would have went with some 5" variant of Android instead.

17. dvir971, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

I will never go Android, never in my life. It became a personal issue for me.
    Staying with my 5? This idea Won't work two years from now.
    Buying Android? Nevah!
    At some point I'll have to buy a new iPhone, even if it will be 6 inches

18. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

It will work fine two years from now. Simply keep it on iOS 7 or 8 so the phone doesn't start to lag and get a battery replacement if needed.

19. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

20. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Copy, cool beans.

The nice part about them is that each individual can use them how they see fit. My dad, still working on an old flip phone, but if I was to give him a smartphone, probably would still only use it for a phone. He doesn't text, wouldn't look at email on it since the text would be too small for him to read comfortably. But for me, hell, it is my run tracker, email, text, facebook, kindle, TV, GPS, etc... I could go on and on. For me it is indispensable.

With that said, sometimes one size does not meet everyones needs. I for one when with the 5.5" model. Love it! Some may want smaller phones/screens. Thats cool too. I like the 4.7" screen one as well, just didn't meet my needs as much as the 5.5" model.

21. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

No no no you misunderstood me :(
    I didn't mean the phone would actually not work, I meant the idea won't work (I mean having a 2012 phone in 2016?). I'm sure the iPhone 5 will work perfectly fine in two years if I stay on iOS 7 as I intend to. I plan to buy the next model though

22. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I probably would have stuck with my 5 or would have bought the 5s. As a dedicated iPhone user from day 1 I still find the 6 Plus a little too big for everyday usage. I've never even played with Android so I can't speak intelligently about it but I may have taken a peak at some of their phones.

23. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Hell, I still have my old iPhone 3Gs at home. I use them as ipods now for my kids. They have some TV shows on them for the little one and some music on them for when we travel. My oldest has an iPad Mini in a griffin survivor case but there is no way in hell I am giving my youngest, 20 old something like that. She just likes making the screen light up. Sometimes she will sit still long enough to watch 5-10 mins of Dora. But if she breaks it, don't care. My iP5 I still have an probably will keep to use at home for media with the ATV3s in the house.

24. JulesK macrumors 6502

I wouldn't; I'd stick with a 4" screen and get a retina iPad Mini

I'm thrilled with my iP6. I've held (barely) the iP6+ at the local Apple Store, and based on how I use my phone, I'd be dropping it frequently. Sure, if I had to I'd adopt, but I'm very used to using my phone one-handed and simply cannot with the iP6+. To me (but certainly not to others), it's a different category of device and not one that I want currently.

If I needed something really large for content consumption, I'd just get a retina iPad Mini.