If a 3rd party HD damages something else on your computer will apple care cover it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Is it possible for the HD to destroy other components of a MBP? And if so will Apple cover that damage if I bring it in with the original HD?

I ask because I would imagine this wouldn't make it worth it, I would rather just stick with an apple HD.

Thanks!

2. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

So the answer to the 1st question negates the second question, making it worth it.

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

No, the real question is how can a HDD destroy the other components? Simple it can't. No HDD or SSD can damage any other components.

4. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

How can a HDD do anything to any component?
    I am intrigued.

doris

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

6. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Ha I dunno, maybe if it burns up and damages things around it? Stuff happens : p

Been debating whether or not to order the 7200rpm and wait or just go to the apple store and get the 5400rpm and replace it down the road...

Decided to just go with the 7200rpm

7. safelder macrumors member

If you're that concerned, just keep the stock HDD handy and swap it back in if your after-market HDD ever goes Cylon on you.

8. pooky macrumors 6502

Not to mention there is no such thing as an "Apple HD." They buy their drives from the same companies you'd buy them from. The only difference is OEM vs. aftermarket packaging.

9. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

You know what I meant : p

10. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

+1 for that.

11. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Right, but my question wasnt about the HDD breaking, it was about the HDD negatively affecting other components of the computer (which I now know isnt possibly) and not being able to get those parts fixed by apple because it was my fault for installing a 3rd party HDD.