If a new 15" Non-Retina is released tomorrow...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by britneyfan, Jun 9, 2013.

1. britneyfan macrumors 6502

Looking at my options. The 15" Retina is beautiful but I can't justify spending nearly $3000 on it.

Is the non-retina still a viable machine that will be around for a while with support?

$1800 is still a lot of money, and I'd want to be comfortable with my purchase.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The non retina is still a great computer, but I don't see it being updated tomorrow.

3. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Based on that you say nothing about your needs and usage, It's quite hard to say.

I think the unibody for factor is on its way out (apple really does no longer support devices with optical drives), but whether the current unibodies are the last, I'm not sure.

That said, even if this generation of unibodies would be the last of their line, that should not lessen their utility/value to you.

RGDS,

4. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input.
    When was it last updated?

I just don't want it to be like an iPod Classic sort of thing, never updated and slowly fading out of Apple's peripheral vision.

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It was last updated a year ago, then the high end model was discontinued as stock in February. iPod Classic/iPad 2 might be what happens here.

6. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!
    I guess we'll see tomorrow what's up with it.

I might keep my 2010 13" and go with a refurb iMac. It doesn't look like that's going anywhere anytime soon.

The more I think about it, within the next years, the iPad will take center stage.

----------

I agree. The thing is, I don't know what exactly my usage will be. And as far as newness goes, it doesn't really matter to me, I just want the proper care and parts if needed. I just don't want what I have to be totally obsolete. If I get it now, I don't want to regret it.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. At least until Thursday, 23 July 2015.

A respected analyst told me this.

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I have both, the 15" Retina and a 15" with Anti-Glare and Hi-Resolution [ work ] and they're both great machines. However, I'd be lying if I said I don't miss the sharp retina display while using the non-retina 15" MBP!

The retina is much easier on my eyes compared to the regular MBP. I suppose if I had not bought the retina, the regular MBP would've been fine.

They are both Mid 2012s, have the same Processor and RAM.

At this point, whatever your usage, I'd try and get the retina version. Just my personal take on this!

9. danyull macrumors member

what do you think the specs will be for the 13" retina?

obviously a haswell cpu but idk which i5.
    500gb HD minimum?
    8gb ram minimum?

10. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

11. leman macrumors 604

The retina model costs $2,199.00 in the US store, I have no idea why you speak of $3000? A cMBP with anti-glare higher-res screen costs $1900. With a DIY SSD and RAM update, the cMBP will be around $2150. You can't justify paying $50 more to have a lighter machine with a better screen? I am somehow puzzled :D Would seem like a no-brainer to me...

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

For many professionals, the ability to do DIY upgrades on the HDD and RAM, and a DVD drive, far outweigh the reduced weight or high DPI screen.

13. leman macrumors 604

Yes, and that has been discussed ad nauseum on the forums. I still can't comprehend the points you guys are trying to make, but maybe that's just me. I kind of agree on the HDD, there should be an option to swap it out easily (for a number of reasons). Anyway, compared to the rMBP the 'classical' model is clearly an inferior machine in my book and I wouldn't recommend anyone to get it. Its just too expensive for what it is. For $500 less, it would be a nice machine.

14. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Just for clarification, the base rMBP is $400 more than the base cMBP. And there is talk of the rMBP coming down in price $100 and even $200. That's not really likely but if it did that makes the price difference only $200.

15. britneyfan, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013

britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

If I was going to go the MBP direction, you guys definitely solidified that I would go to the Retina.

Thanks!!!

16. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

One more question... how long after the announcement tomorrow do you guys think that the June 2012 Retina MBPs will go down in price on the Refurb store?