If a new iPhone is released at WWDC, what day/time will it be available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnbro23, May 14, 2009.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I want to upgrade my 1st Gen iPhone as soon as the new iPhone comes out, but I have a really busy week of traveling the week of WWDC. I'm just thinking ahead to when I'd be able to pick it up... so what day/time do you think the new iPhone will be available if it is released at WWDC?

2. daonesteven macrumors 6502

it can be released that day, a week later, a month later, a month and a week later, two months later, so on.

3. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Last year the 3G was announced at the WWDC in June and then officially launched on my birthday, July 11th (which was the 2nd Friday of July). So i assume that it will be about the same this year.

4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I figured it would follow a similar schedule as last year, but I couldn't remember the actual dates that it was available.

The first year doesn't really lend useful comparison since it was revealed at MacWorld then available June 29 (now that date I remember :) )

5. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

By the way, how do you fit a 320GB hard drive in your MBP? I saw it in your signature...

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

They've had 320GB HDDs that'll fit MBPs for at least a year. I think that's how long I've had mine. I'm fairly sure there is a 500GB drive that size, but I don't think it's very cost-effective.

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

They aren't too bad

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Holy crap. They've really dropped since I got mine. I want to say I paid about $150-180 for my 320GB, and that was a great deal on sale. I think 500GB was $300 or so at the time. I guess those SSDs have started to make a dent in prices.

9. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500gb 2.5" 5400rpm - $99 free ship @ NewEgg

I just ordered this drive and it's arriving tomorrow. I'll be installing it into my MBP this weekend. According to Tom's Hardware notebook hd benchmarks, it uses 1/3 less power than my 200gb 7200rpm stock hd, and is also about 10 megabytes per second faster on the read. Amazing how new 5400 rpm drives are faster than 7200 rpm drives that are just over a year old!!

10. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

OT: Its my bday too on July 11th :D and awaiting the new hardware this time around too, though it seems it aint gonna happen :rolleyes:

11. Maconer macrumors newbie

If you are going to be busy then I doubt you will be able to get it the moment it comes out. Chances are that there will be long lines and limited stock.

12. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I think you'll see some type of announcement that day. The phone will come later. I would guess early July or around the time original contracts expire the end of June.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

an⋅nounce⋅ment
      /əˈnaʊnsmənt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-nouns-muhnt] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. public or formal notice announcing something: The announcement appeared in the newspapers.

re⋅lease
      /rɪˈlis/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-lees] Show IPA verb, -leased, -leas⋅ing, noun
    –noun
    5. a freeing or releasing from confinement, obligation, pain, emotional strain, etc.
    6. liberation from anything that restrains or fastens.
    7. some device or agency for effecting such liberation.
    8. a grant of permission, as to publish, use, or sell something.
    9. the releasing of something for publication, performance, use, exhibition, or sale.
    10. the film, book, record, etc., that is released

14. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Let me pull out my crystal ball....

1 month later.

15. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

It will probably be available tomorrow. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I like how you used the word you were defining in the definition. ;)

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I've heard the interesting rumour that Jobs and the iPhone won't be at WWDC....

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

19. bigchief macrumors 6502a

20. Andruw91 macrumors regular

I guess you can't ask for a better answer

21. puercaeli macrumors regular

I have installed it on my Nov 07 MBP and I am loving it!

one thing though is the noise; there is some underlying spinning noise. But apparently it can be changed using some program... think it was called hdapm or sth like that(but apprently it can damage your hdd...)

22. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

I was able to successfully upgrade my drive this evening and it is very nice! So were you saying that this program can damage the hdd, or the noise if left unchecked does the damage? So far I've noticed the noise is a little bit different than the old drive, but it hasn't bugged me at all. I did a SuperDuper of 200gb onto it and I didn't notice it being really noisy. Maybe yours was defective? I read online--I think it was about this drive--that the ones that came out a few months ago weren't as good or something. I probably read a few hundred reviews though before I bought it so who knows. Maybe the noise isn't a problem because I was coming from a 7200 to a faster 5400. It just sounds weird to say that but its true. Slower = better somehow.

I also picked up the Rosewill Enclosure RX81U-MP-25A-S/B. It is a very nice aluminum enclosure that was able to power both drives, when I had them each inside separately, by only using one USB port for power. Pretty slick.

Sorry going along with the off-topic post but maybe someone will find this info useful.

23. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Sometimes there just ain't a better word.

25. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

June 19, 2009 at 3:46:12 PM (EDT). You're welcome!