Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mauriziocorso77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
ok, so i just bought a new macbook pro a couple of days ago...what happens if apple releases a new one in the next couple of days and introduces a price drop? Do i get the new laptop or at least the price drop? :( I was dying for a macbook pro and now hearing rumors that the new one is coming out in the next couple of days...i wish i didn't :'(

I bought it at a store that isnt the apple store, and i've opened up everything. does anyone have any suggestions?

mauriziocorso77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
even if i've opened up everything? i'm so angry cos i've been waiting ever since the santa rosa update for it to be updated again so i can buy the new one, but i just couldnt resists a couple of days ago...
and i've installed software and stuff...

mauriziocorso77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
sorry overanalyzer, but if i do happen do return it....how should i approach them? should i simply formally return it and say something was wrong with it and i dont like it anymore? or say i want to exchange it for the new one?

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
ok, so i just bought a new macbook pro a couple of days ago...what happens if apple releases a new one in the next couple of days and introduces a price drop? Do i get the new laptop or at least the price drop? :( I was dying for a macbook pro and now hearing rumors that the new one is coming out in the next couple of days...i wish i didn't :'(

I bought it at a store that isnt the apple store, and i've opened up everything. does anyone have any suggestions?

Where did you buy the machine? A non-Apple store will have different return policies. If you bought it at a small Mac reseller you may have major difficulty with the return.

mauriziocorso77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i haave a feeling that their policy is fine, just about how i should return it and if they'll return it in the condition that i have it in (some of the packaging missing). i should know tomorrow. thanks everyone, i'll keep you all posted.

UPDATE: i actually just checked....and i have all the paackaging...its jsut all opened thats all. phew

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Yeah you'll be losing part of your refund with a restocking fee. Common whenever you open the package for electronics unless there is something wrong with it.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
Within 14 days you can return it for the new one if you want. So if the update comes shortly, you'll be all set.

Just to clarify...

Apple stores have a 14 day return policy for unopened items. Anything opened will have a restocking fee.

Non-Apple stores have their own return policy. There are usually exceptions for computers (opened).

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
If you have packaging missing, you may have problems returning it because most companies have it stated in their policy that it must be in such a condition that they can resell the item.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA

Where did you buy the machine? A non-Apple store will have different return policies. If you bought it at a small Mac reseller you may have major difficulty with the return.

Just to clarify...

Apple stores have a 14 day return policy for unopened items. Anything opened will have a restocking fee.

Non-Apple stores have their own return policy. There are usually exceptions for computers (opened).

Yeah I missed the "isn't" the first time as in "isn't an Apple store", so the normal Apple return policy doesn't apply. But it sounds like in your other posts that you confirmed the return policy from the store you bought it from and are all set....

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
You could actually keep it, be happy, not worry about it, use it, and let your need to be bleeding edge go. Or you could pay the restocking fee and get a newer machine that unless they introduce multitouch like on the Air, the only difference will be nominal at best and you will most certainly never notice it.

mauriziocorso77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
well as i said, i've actualy got all the pacakging, just that its all opened...the restocking fee wont be a problem at all if apple reduces the price, (i'll be willing to pay it as i got a 10% discount on the macbook pro in the first place anyway), but if apple DOESNT release new macbooks...should i return it anyway? I'm not in dire need of it just yet...i only went out to buy it cos i wanted it so much, now that i've got one i can return it and wait a little bit longer...hehe.

thanks everyone, i'll ring the store today to see what they say.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Can't see it happening until the mobile Penryn starts shipping in bulk. More likely in mid to late February than tomorrow IMO.

mauriziocorso77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
You could actually keep it, be happy, not worry about it, use it, and let your need to be bleeding edge go. Or you could pay the restocking fee and get a newer machine that unless they introduce multitouch like on the Air, the only difference will be nominal at best and you will most certainly never notice it.

Out of all the advice offered...this is the one i'm taking. Thanks guys for all your help. :) I've heard that the macbook pros are being delayed because of the penryns being delayed until at least late febraury, and i'm not prepared to wait that long...so yes i'm keeping my macbook pro. here's to years of indulgence!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.